Home Made Power Hacksaw

Pmedic828

Active User
Registered
I don't know if this is the correct place to ask this question but does anyone have any plans for a power hacksaw converting a hand hacksaw to a reciprocating hacksaw using a guide above and pulleys & motor? If using a 12 inch blade, how many strokes should this power saw be designed for per minute when cutting 1/4 inch plate or up to 1-1/4 inch bar or square stock. I cannot afford a powered metal band saw at this time, just got a 3 in 1 machine, and wanted to create a project to cut metal for the lathe and / or milling machine.

:anyone:

I was going to make one and had some of the materials but gave up when I got a HF band saw for under 200. If I remember the speed was slow, as I did pick up a powered exercise bike with a speed control that I was going to use. I did change the drawing to suit the motor and gear box and was going to use the pedal for one of the arms to the linkage for the saw part. The drawing came from a old popular science mag. from the 50's or 60's so the 20 dollar price would not apply today. The big pulley was used for slowing the speed down, but if can find a slow motor maybe from a treadmill that might work if big enough.
Paul

Attachments

• power-hackSaw.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 216
Back