Hobby level heat treating oven

JerZcustoms

Registered
Registered
Hey Gents, if anyone can give one or more recommendations for a hobby level oven to heat treat home made knives and cure protective coatings, I would greatly appreciate it! I am making some knives and also coating some different weapons with finishes that need to be bakes at 350+. Thanks guys

Depends if want to buy new, used or build your own. I picked up a Cress kiln for $150 on ebay - it was local pickup, and did so because I couldn't buy the bricks for that price to build my own. The PID conversion is a good thing because you can heat and soak for hardening and tempering in a controlled and precise environment. Here's a link for modifying a used one, and he's a knife maker.

All the best,

I picked up a couple of Thermolyne furnaces off eBay and Craigslist. Small one has a 4 x 4 x 9 chamber and heats to 1600 F in 30 minutes. Paid $150. Runs off 110V. Larger one is 220v with a 11 x 11 x 16 chamber. Paid $300 for that one.

Bruce

It would be manually controlling heat/cooling cycles but, $500 seems affordable. Hot Shot 360 would do the cycles for you, but at 2 and a half times the cost...
Oven

2 1/2 times? Holy crap those prices really went up.

How much over 350f do you want? If you’re doing powder coat a regular electric oven works great. I got an old MagicChef built in of CL for $25 over 15yrs ago and it still going strong. Does a really good job of keeping temp.

Back