Hitachi. Impact driver stuck bit

woodchucker

Registered
Registered
I may have screwed up my favorite tool. I have a light weight 12v Hitachi impact driver and I needed to change the jaws on my vision chuck I could not break the bolt loose by hand so I grabbed the impact and a bit that I cut off the broken tip on the impact would not loosen the bolts, and it appears to have cocked in the holder. I've been working on it for about 20 minutes. Any suggestions

PXL_20240317_220819600.jpgPXL_20240317_220830040.jpg

Place it in a vise.

While pulling and pushing on the tool, go forward and reverse.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I've already tried that.
I am considering some oil to help the tool skip to the next

dumb question here but can you turn the bit in the opposite direction?
even by force if necessary :grin:

I've tried both ways.
And it has to be by force using the impact , because there is no way to hold it.
I tried taking out the split ring but am not able to get it out, hoping to get the collar off and get a grip on the shaft.
This may be the end of the unit , I hope not. I have a feeling it occurred because it's getting worn out.
Most light units don't have a nice flat bottom like this does. I bought it because I can put it down standing up. It's been great. It drives deck screws like no ones business. For a 12V, it's impressive. The drill on the other hand has an awful chuck. But I like the drill itself. The clutch has a good range making it awesome for any light screwing to heavy screwing.

Happens on my Makita sometimes. I just clamp vise grips on the bit and tap them with a hammer. Usually pops right off.Some of the import bits might not be to tolerance I find.
Martin

I've tried both ways.
And it has to be by force using the impact , because there is no way to hold it.
I tried taking out the split ring but am not able to get it out, hoping to get the collar off and get a grip on the shaft.
This may be the end of the unit , I hope not. I have a feeling it occurred because it's getting worn out.
Most light units don't have a nice flat bottom like this does. I bought it because I can put it down standing up. It's been great. It drives deck screws like no ones business. For a 12V, it's impressive. The drill on the other hand has an awful chuck. But I like the drill itself. The clutch has a good range making it awesome for any light screwing to heavy screwing.

I feel for you. I had the 12V (it was old enough to be marked 10.8V) not chucked drill/driver and it was so handy. Lightweight, great clutch settings and no stupid chuck loosening up - just toss a 1/4" bit in it and go. Ended up letting out the magic smoke and i replaced it with a 12V Milwaukee which has been fine. The larger batteries have a similar flat bottom and allow you to stand them up similarly. Haven't had it for 10 years with the same hard use so no idea if it will last as well but so far so good.

I feel for you. I had the 12V (it was old enough to be marked 10.8V) not chucked drill/driver and it was so handy. Lightweight, great clutch settings and no stupid chuck loosening up - just toss a 1/4" bit in it and go. Ended up letting out the magic smoke and i replaced it with a 12V Milwaukee which has been fine. The larger batteries have a similar flat bottom and allow you to stand them up similarly. Haven't had it for 10 years with the same hard use so no idea if it will last as well but so far so good.
yea, mine is marked 10.8/12V.
I just freed it up. I pulled as hard as I could while running it forward and the lock pulled out. and was able to pull it free with the bit locked in the vise.

That was a USA made bit, and it's a tighter fit than imports. Which is why it's a good 1/4" bit cut down.

Back