Hints and Tips

How to weld ABS and Styrene plastics. With MEK gone, the new MEK does not weld ABS like the old stuff did. I had some ABS I was throwing out and decided to use it as a test. I had a can of gumout carb cleaner.. for the test I just sprayed it and bonded the two parts together. It worked real well. Acetone alone was not working.. But the toluene and acetone may be the trick.

My Yakima rocket box cracked again during the trip up to my son's, which is when I use the most these days, as I rarely ski anymore, and don't compete with sailplanes around the country. At first I sprayed some, but it was a mess. So I grabbed an old glue syringe and sprayed some in, then dispensed it along the crack and it welded fine.. I did both sides. The syringe won't hold the gumout, it runs out the needle, it's too thin, not viscous enough, but it still did a good job .
PXL_20240414_185042496.jpg
inside
PXL_20240414_183957713.jpg

Outside sanded.
PXL_20240414_184023926.jpg

Needed to make a new saddle for the Bison Chuck.
after roughing it out, I decided that wasn't good enough.
So I attached a small combo square using the cast piece to keep it square, then rotated it and scratched the better red line for band sawing.
Then sanded after..
PXL_20240418_151907364.jpg

So I attached a small combo square using the cast piece to keep it square, then rotated it and scratched the better red line for band sawing.
Then sanded after..
View attachment 487065
I made a similar cradle for our D-6 camloc chuck at work.

I've actually taken to clamping the tailstock quill with the chuck to ease the transition from it being mounted/unmounted to save my back.

I use a quill condom (Thin cardboard sleeve) to protect the quill and then all I have to do is rotate the spindle by hand and turn the quill handle to mount it.

Then sanded after..
View attachment 487065
A great idea. I tore a tendon in my wrist last January and it is difficult at the moment to jockey my 4 jaw chuck into position. This would definitely help.

I have a 3/4" straight shank on my boring head so I would mount the boring head in either my 5C collet chuck or the 3 jaw and use the lathe to carve the cradle after using the band saw to rough it out. I would use some straps fastened to saddle at the follower holes to fix the block and allow it to feed into the cutter with my power feed.

Then sanded after..
View attachment 487065
Remove the jaws, push the block against the chuck body and use a sharp pencil??

Remove the jaws, push the block against the chuck body and use a sharp pencil??
I had tried that. not enough room to get in and under, and the base jaws are still there and space it. Hence the more accurate way. Also much closer being no offset.

Back