High Frequency arc Stabilizer

Mike

Stainless Steel Wire brush, kept sacredly preserved for use only when welding Aluminium is "industry standard" not sure on scotchbrite, never used it. A grinder with an aluminium grind stone, flap type abrasive mop disc or belt sander works as well.

The methods of cleaning Aluminium are

mechanical, ie; brush, sand, grind

or

chemical, Methyl Hydrate or Acetone

Walter

EDIT: these are both highly flamable substances, do your cleaning and keep any wet rags way outside the welding zone!

Last edited:
I managed to dabble a bit today. As you can imagine, there's not much you can do with a 70 amp buzz-box. Especially when you do everything wrong. Quick rub with emery, wipe it down with the methanol (paper towel outside to the trash right away), set the argon to 20 cfh, clamp the 1/8" aluminum to the steel welding table with the ground clamp (steals heat like crazy).

The HF unit had a bit of trouble getting it started cold. By the time it lit up, my 10 seconds of gas flow had probably run out (it's complicated - don't worry about it). That likely explains the black mark. I didn't wipe down the piece of aluminum MIG wire I was trying as filler.

Still, it actually took in the filler. Not much penetration, but that comes as no surprise to anyone. I consider it a roaring success. It shows me that a decent-sized sine-wave welder and proper prep will let me learn to weld aluminum.
P1010032.JPG

I checked the local on-line ads. There are a couple of Forneys - one for $250, one for $80, and a tombstone for $150. Some of the Forneys used aluminum cable sockets, so I'm not sure I want to go there. It could cost more than the purchase price to restore. I'll see what comes up in the next few weeks. Maybe someone gets a new welder for Christmas and wants to make room for it. :biggrin:

P1010032.JPG

Hawkeye.
Thats definately a two thumbs up initial weld. I have been following your thread and know you are going the right way. As you progress you will want a tombstone or similar type machine if you can find one within your budget. Craiglist may yeild some good candidates like you said from folks looking for a little more room. You can do a fair bit of practice at 70 amps, so enjoy and keep us up on your progress. Good luck and have a Merry Christmas.
Bob

Hawkeye, are you still using your Century HF box? I have just acquired one and am having trouble. I am thinking I have a problem in it but it does produce great arc. I can not get anything like what you have there as a sample weld. I was wondering if you could check a resistance on a winding for me...? I will touch base with you in a pm too. Thanks

After my house fire, they threw away my AC welder, so I can't try any aluminum welding for awhile. The HF was stored in the shed, so it survived. What parts do you need resistance readings for? I don't know how soon I can get to it, but I can try.

Back