HF Jack Stands - Safety Recall

Any idea what the problem with them is? I'll check mine, but I don't think the labels are still on them. Thanks for posting this!

According to the text, the pawl can kick out causing the ...pole? to drop. I've worked with jackstands my entire professional life. I don't fit under lifts... half hour under a lift and I'm out for days with back issues. I have seen the roll pin that holds the pawl to the lever shear, allowing the lever to hit the frame before the pawl fully engaged. I have also seen stands where the pawl just didn't fit right in the rack. I can't say either of those was HF, but I'm a-gonna check when I get home.

Thanks, I have some that are not from Harbor Freight, but look identical like and could have came out of the same factory.

The text at the link in post #1 says:
if you've got a set of Harbor Freight jack stands somewhere in your garage, stop using them immediately because many of them have just been recalled over pawls that could "disengage from the extension lifting post" under a shift in weight, causing them to suddenly collapse.

Thanks again!
-brino

Click the link and check out the information on this. It says something about the cogs not being machined correctly and can disengage and fall.
I need to check mine.

Joe

Any idea what the problem with them is? I'll check mine, but I don't think the labels are still on them. Thanks for posting this!

This came up a month ago on another forum but for some reason the subject blew up on the net a couple of days ago.

Check out this video. He shows the problem & can determine if your jackstands have this problem if your labels are gone. And not just for HF jackstands, others like 3 ton Craftsmans have had this issue too.

I've got the gray 6 tons from HF too. Mine isn't the affected P/Ns but more importantly doesn't have the issue shown in the video.

No problem. I suggest everyone check their jackstand regardless of the brand or whether there is a recall. Don't want anyone to get hurt!

Since I was a teenager I have never trusted any jackstands I have used no matter the brand or COO. I always leave the jack in place or wheels laying under the vehicle along with jackstands.

Mine are so old that they have a cross bolt instead to a quick release set up. Good to know if I need more.
Pierre

I checked mine out yesterday. Have two of the (3) ton grays. All my other ones are made in China also.
Numbers don't match but I believe I'll stick with using them on the riding mowers only.
Need to go watch the video and see where they fail.

Back