HF grinder stand junk

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
https://hftools.com/app68321

I fell for it....I bought one. I needed a stand for my Kalamazoo belt sander that I use for nearly all my deburring work.

The thing is garbage. The hole in the base is tapered and only goes halfway down. It's sort of close to the right size at the bottom but there is a huge amount of room at the top. So much slop that the tube can tilt dramatically so the only thing holding the tube straight is the stupid locking bolts. Crazy.

The top of the tube isn't much better.

This morning I finally fixed it. I was all excited to throw the base in my 16" swing lathe..... it was an inch to big on the swing!

I threw the base on the mill and roughly dialed in the top hole and bored it all the way through with the boring head. I absolutely love my boring heads. They are so much fun to use.

Anyway... if you make the mistake of buying this raging piece of cr*p, it is great practice to bore it out and slide that tube further in so it will not flop sideways while your grinding.

On top I drilled a hole to catch a pointed set screw so it cannot push away and slip over the top. 20240504_121851.jpg

Like I said...garbage...until you fix it. Then it's okay. I love having it on the dolly. It can't be in the way for long.

You get what you pay for & these days it ain't much! But at least it can be fun fixing it if you can. :D

I bought two Wen bench grinder stands for $26ea on Amazon (Prime). I wasn't expecting much. Eventually I finally used one, had to make some modification to make it sturdy & for what I wanted to use it for. Honestly I wasn't even sure if they would work for a belt sander but in the end it came out pretty solid & I'm satisfied.

20200830_203823.jpg

I agree… pure crap. How I ended up with four still puzzles me… another project on the list of things to fix/improve.

I fell for it....I bought one. I needed a stand for my Kalamazoo belt sander that I use for nearly all my deburring work.

The thing is garbage. The hole in the base is tapered and only goes halfway down. It's sort of close to the right size at the bottom but there is a huge amount of room at the top. So much slop that the tube can tilt dramatically so the only thing holding the tube straight is the stupid locking bolts. Crazy.

This morning I finally fixed it. I was all excited to throw the base in my 16" swing lathe..... it was an inch to big on the swing!

I threw the base on the mill and roughly dialed in the top hole and bored it all the way through with the boring head. I absolutely love my boring heads. They are so much fun to use.

Anyway... if you make the mistake of buying this raging piece of cr*p, it is great practice to bore it out and slide that tube further in so it will not flop sideways while your grinding.

On top I drilled a hole to catch a pointed set screw so it cannot push away and slip over the top. View attachment 488982

Like I said...garbage...until you fix it. Then it's okay. I love having it on the dolly. It can't be in the way for long.
I have the same grinder. I bought it a few years ago to sharpen lawnmower blades and deburr small item. Rather tan mount it on a floor stand I mounted it to a piece of 8” channel. It’s light enough to pick up but heavy enough to hold its position on the bench when grinding

I bought one of those HF stands several years ago for an old 1/4 HP Baldor grinder that I inherited. I gave it away and built a stand for the grinder. I have a couple of other items from HF, and they needed significant work done to make them worth owning. Now days I have to be pretty desperate to go to HF.
Ted

Most of the HF stuff works... some of it works extremely well...

The grinder stands don't... I bought one and won't buy another... they are pretty bad.

-Bear

Most of the HF stuff works... some of it works extremely well...

The grinder stands don't... I bought one and won't buy another... they are pretty bad.

-Bear
That is why I posted about fixing mine. It was a quick project and fun practice with the boring head.

I fixed mine also... I turned a piece of aluminum to a press fit inside both ends of the tube so I could crank down on the clamp screws, then assembled it and poured the gaps full of JB Weld. It's pretty solid now, but it's still too top heavy with a grinder on it...

-Bear

I fixed mine also... I turned a piece of aluminum to a press fit inside both ends of the tube so I could crank down on the clamp screws, then assembled it and poured the gaps full of JB Weld. It's pretty solid now, but it's still too top heavy with a grinder on it...

-Bear
I really like having it on the furniture dolly. It moves a bit but much more stable

On top I drilled a hole to catch a pointed set screw so it cannot push away and slip over the top. View attachment 488982

since you said the top hole is too large. You may want to pot it in JB Weld as well to take up the space and give you a nice tight fit. Just a thought.

Back