HF 4x6 bandsaw - buyers beware

I like the 'kit' analogy. If I wanted to build a saw or lathe or mill, I'd start with getting some castings made, then do everything that was needed to build the machine. Barring major casting flaws, these low end machines have everything you need. Some parts may need to be modified or replaced, but you are most of the way there.

If you want to buy a machine, pay for as good a machine as you can afford. If you want to save money, consider it a kit. I think, if we approach the process that way, we won't be as disappointed. Sometimes you'll get lucky and it will work right the first time.

As NX pointed out, we did this to ourselves. Now, lets deal with it.

I did get some Irwin bimetal blades from enco last week but will wait until this blade will fail before replacing as it seems to be doing well so far.

I did the same thing but one thing that was unexpected is that the band didn't fail it just stopped cutting straight. Much like just one side got duller than the other. So you may want to put it away and use it if you need to cut rebar or something trashy. Mine went crooked on a block I was cutting to my spec so i simply changed the spec and milled it 1/8" thinner as a over thick tool holder.

Steve

As NX pointed out, we did this to ourselves. Now, lets deal with it.

I agree, we chose to get the cheapest (affordable) alternative knowing it would cost us time/labor which I was OK with, but for someone that doesn't realize that it could be very surprising and disappointing.

I did the same thing but one thing that was unexpected is that the band didn't fail it just stopped cutting straight. Much like just one side got duller than the other. So you may want to put it away and use it if you need to cut rebar or something trashy. Mine went crooked on a block I was cutting to my spec so i simply changed the spec and milled it 1/8" thinner as a over thick tool holder.

Steve

hmm... thanks for the tip, I may just do that.

Saw #2 sounds like a keeper
Good to hear you got everthing sorted out with the replacement.

Sharon,

Once you get all the tweaking done, they really are pretty decent little saws. Of course the weak link then will be the motor but that too can be remedied fairly easily. No matter what they sure beat using a hack saw for most jobs!

On another note, I was at the Harbor Freight Southern Distrubution Center this past Saturday and noticed the 4 x 6 price had increased!

thanks guys. yeah, this one seems to be behaving well and definitely an improvement over standing there hacking with a hack saw for an hour (although I do appreciate the workout) ;)

I haven't noticed any issues with the motor ,but haven't really used the saw much as of yet either. can always replace motor with a good leeson/baldor ac/dc if it gets to that point. as far as price goes - the store did say that they increased the prices on the saw. I guess with oil/gas prices going up everything goes up with it. it was ON SALE for 239 when I got it before the 20% coupon. I know some folks got those a year ago for ~160 which I told the folks at the store, but that didn't help convince them to lower the price for me :) oh well... at least it was no sales tax weekend.

Thats the reason i only bought the ones with the exposed sheet steel arms because i didn't like the ones with the cast arms. Far better machine but harder to find now...Bob

4x6.jpg

Thats the reason i only bought the ones with the exposed sheet steel arms because i didn't like the ones with the cast arms. Far better machine but harder to find now...Bob

My bandsaw looks very similar to yours, only more used and worn. I purchased it used last year at a very reasonable price. I have cut steel of all structural shapes up to 4 x 4 x 1/4 angle. It cuts great when properly setup, but as previously mentioned, let's you know when a new blade is needed. Recommend the Enco bimetal blade. Good blade at a good price when on sale.

It's hard to know what to use.

Grizzly says:

HF says:

:thinking:

M

DO NOT USE GREASE. The gearbox will get warm and melt all of the grease from around the gears leaving them unprotected. Seen it a millon times when i was a millwright in the big factory. Just my thoughts...Bob

Back