Hey hey let's do a treadmill motor thread!

Treadmill motors in particular seem to be rated creatively. Mine says 2.5HP, but I don't buy that for a second. Compared to motors that have been tested to deliver that level of power, it's about 1/4 the size and weight. If you want reliable performance at the nameplate rating, you are better off with a good 3 phase motor and VFD if you want variable speed. I'm using this treadmill motor because it's free and good enough to spin a belt grinder about. I wouldn't put it on a a lathe bigger than a mini lathe.

I have done 3 of these conversions using the mc60 variety. My first conversion was done to a Craftsman wood cutting band saw, so I could cut metal. My second conversion was to a Delta drill press. And the third was adding variable speed to my small/rare Jefferson horizontal mill. That one used an older treadmill with a true 1hp Leeson motor. It was the ugliest treadmill I had ever seen, but it was a beast of a treadmill. FWIW, here is a video for wiring them up that I did several years ago.

And after I came to realize that treadmills are everywhere, I never pay more than $30-$40.

What are we considering as "not very expensive" for these mc60 cards? I've been seeing them between $100-200

I buy completely functioning treadmills for that price or pick them up for free.

Yes that would work; I've seen comparable units like KBIC-120 for around 40$, some new
Mark

Well, I bought that kbic-125...

Hopefully someone here can help me wire it.
I’ve been reading they need some kind of plug in horse power resistor... what’s that all about?

I know those controllers are good for brushed motors, but what about DC...?

Back