Hexagonal Turret change over to Tail Stock

geraldsd

Active User
Registered
I have just acquired a 12" X 24" Logan Turret Lathe. There are times that I would like the option of a tail stock. Do I just need a 12" Logan tail stock, or is it more complicated?

I use to run a Warner & Swasey Turret lathe and loved it. I had a live center and could use it as a conventional lathe. Then index the turret to the center drill, drill chuck, boring bar, tap, etc. On the W&S, I never heard of anyone exchanging the turret. But on some of the conventional lathes like yours if you really want a tail-stock you can slide off the Turret and slide on a Tail-stock. If you can take a picture of your lathe and attach it so I can be positive you can switch it.

I use to run a Warner & Swasey Turret lathe and loved it. I had a live center and could use it as a conventional lathe. Then index the turret to the center drill, drill chuck, boring bar, tap, etc. On the W&S, I never heard of anyone exchanging the turret. But on some of the conventional lathes like yours if you really want a tail-stock you can slide off the Turret and slide on a Tail-stock. If you can take a picture of your lathe and attach it so I can be positive you can switch it.

I will post pictures of the lathe later today or tomorrow. I have done more research and am learning about the capabilities of this machine. The more I learn the more excited I am about it. There are some items that I want to make that will require repetitive operations. I don't have to remove anything just rotate the turret...just like reloading with a turret press...so to speak. I hope to use this lathe for building rifles as well, and when chambering may want the ability of the standard tail stock to move the reamer into and out of the barrel. Is this something that I can do with a turret with the same precision? Thank you for your reply!

I will post pictures of the lathe later today or tomorrow. I have done more research and am learning about the capabilities of this machine. The more I learn the more excited I am about it. There are some items that I want to make that will require repetitive operations. I don't have to remove anything just rotate the turret...just like reloading with a turret press...so to speak. I hope to use this lathe for building rifles as well, and when chambering may want the ability of the standard tail stock to move the reamer into and out of the barrel. Is this something that I can do with a turret with the same precision? Thank you for your reply!

Here is a picture of the lathe:

http://reliableequipmentco.com/lathes/item_012.php

I hope that this helps.

Did you just buy it and are asking questions about the machine? Did you buy it before test running it? I hate to say bad tidings at Christmas time but it looks like what we call in the rebuilding industry a "Chicago Job" or it was cleaned and painted, to hide issues; they painted on way surfaces. On the picture showing the turret, the side of the turret ways are painted, the rear top of the saddle cross-slide ways have paint on them, The face of the turrets faces are seldom painted, it looks like the hole have over spray in them. the top of the compound Tee Slot is painted, It looks like they used a polishing wheel to shine up everything. There should be a handle that turns the turret in and out that looks like it is missing. It says Ebay on the pictures. Did you buy it on there, again have you run the machine? Moved the turret in and out? Moved the cross slide in and out? I have looked at the pictures several times too.....I hope I am mistaken. Tell me more please....

Did you just buy it and are asking questions about the machine? Did you buy it before test running it? I hate to say bad tidings at Christmas time but it looks like what we call in the rebuilding industry a "Chicago Job" or it was cleaned and painted, to hide issues; they painted on way surfaces. On the picture showing the turret, the side of the turret ways are painted, the rear top of the saddle cross-slide ways have paint on them, The face of the turrets faces are seldom painted, it looks like the hole have over spray in them. the top of the compound Tee Slot is painted, It looks like they used a polishing wheel to shine up everything. There should be a handle that turns the turret in and out that looks like it is missing. It says Ebay on the pictures. Did you buy it on there, again have you run the machine? Moved the turret in and out? Moved the cross slide in and out? I have looked at the pictures several times too.....I hope I am mistaken. Tell me more please....

I hope that you are wrong as I have heard it run and it sounded good..but I really don't know. I have little experience with these things. I bought a Bridgeport Mill from them and it has turned out well. There is a handle that is actually quite large that goes with it that turns the turret. I agree that the men he has that clean up the machines are pretty free with the paint. I looked at the ways as best I could and didn't see what I would think to be major problems. There again what do I know. I have looked online and found little information and few pictures. I have not spent much time looking at it, but now feel that I must look again before more money passes hands on it. Have you run a Logan like this one before? Bottom line I really like the thought of having the capabilities of a turret lathe.

Last edited:
I hope that you are wrong as I have heard it run and it sounded good..but I really don't know. I have little experience with these things. I bought a Bridgeport Mill from them and it has turned out well. There is a handle that is actually quite large that goes with it that turns the turret. I agree that the men he has that clean up the machines are pretty free with the paint. I looked at the ways as best I could and didn't see what I would think to be major problems. There again what do I know. I have looked online and found little information and few pictures. I have not spent much time looking at it, but now feel that I must look again before more money passes hands on it. Have you run a Logan like this one before? Bottom line I really like the thought of having the capabilities of a turret lathe.

I have been running machines for 45 years as I am a Journeyman Machine Tool Rebuilder. Part of my trade is I repair and run all types of machines. I can't recall the exact number of Logans I have run. I would ask them to run it thru all the speeds, feeds, put the chuck on, the nuts and washers for the turret locks are missing, are there any collets? As I was looking at it, I was thinking it may have come out of a Vo-Tech School. It might be a nice little machine if the paint is removed from the ways. If it were summer I would drive over from my cabin on Lake of the Ozarks and take a look to help you. But I have it closed until spring now. I will look in my Manual collection and see if I have something over the next few days. Take Care. Rich
PS I live in MN, so a long drive now...ha ha

I have been running machines for 45 years as I am a Journeyman Machine Tool Rebuilder. Part of my trade is I repair and run all types of machines. I can't recall the exact number of Logans I have run. I would ask them to run it thru all the speeds, feeds, put the chuck on, the nuts and washers for the turret locks are missing, are there any collets? As I was looking at it, I was thinking it may have come out of a Vo-Tech School. It might be a nice little machine if the paint is removed from the ways. If it were summer I would drive over from my cabin on Lake of the Ozarks and take a look to help you. But I have it closed until spring now. I will look in my Manual collection and see if I have something over the next few days. Take Care. Rich
PS I live in MN, so a long drive now...ha ha

You don't know how much I appreciate your time here. I am in the process (it will take me a couple of years) of building a nice shop to do many things with metal. I liked the idea of the turret. If I do have issues with this machine are there parts available? It seems that there are numerous Logans for sale out there. I appreciate any and all help. And should you ever visit, I will assure you that you will be treated like a King! My wife is a wonderful cook and the hospitality will be generous! Merry Christmas!

Back