Scruffer

Registered
Registered
Anyone use this set and their reviews. Hertel
1/8 to 1/2", 2 Flute End Mill Set Uncoated, High Speed Steel, Centercutting

Product Information​

• : HAA80130D
  • Mill Diameter (Inch): 1/8; 3/16; 1/4; 5/16; 3/8; 1/2

Not the set , but Hertels aren't bad . They are known as a quality brand .

Not the set , but Hertels aren't bad . They are known as a quality brand .
+1. I've always considered them the economy US brand (although I think I saw that they're not necessarily US made anymore). Better than most 'no brand' sets.

GsT

Depends on what material you are machining, on Aluminum I do better with 3FL high helix, steel 4FL usually carbide. Hertel is often rebranded products these days vs. OEM. Better than the generic end mills, but there is much better. The HSS end mills tend not to last very long in ferrous milling, I do have a lot of Cobalt M42 end mills (Mellin) which work well in ferrous materials and is more forgiving than carbide. Aluminum/softer sticky materials it is important to climb cut and use some air/lubricant to clear the chips. I use mostly the 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" size end mills, so might suggest buying individually and maybe multiples. I also like to use coated HSS rougher end mills for rapid material removal, a 1/2" works well for a smaller mill, 3/4" for a larger mill. Same one can often be used for aluminum and steel, they come in various configurations.
Aluminum set: https://www.ebay.com/itm/192903611734
Ferrous set: https://www.ebay.com/itm/20296064626

+1. I've always considered them the economy US brand (although I think I saw that they're not necessarily US made anymore). Better than most 'no brand' sets.

GsT
The Country of Origin states "South Korea". I went ahead and ordered the two & four flute sets from GoVets. Right now I am machining slots on 6061 Al & A36 steel. I've been using the Harbor Freight sets & decided to see if these would machine better. The HF is ok but trying something different. At some point, I'll continue to upgrade my end mills. I am not doing anything critical. Just fabricating a bunch of brackets for personal use.

Back