Hertel Cutoff Tool?

RVJimD

Active User
Registered
I want to try one of these or similar type carbide insert cutoff tools. Do I need the entire set with the tool block or will the blade fit my AXA QCTP parting blade tool block? I can't tell if there is some special profile to the blade or the tool block that makes it proprietary? If I don't need the tool block it save a bit of money so I can buy other fun stuff!

If you didn't get the memo, ENCO has 20% off today only!

image.jpg

Thanks,

Jim

You need the whole kit and kaboddle. Your toolholder will not hold a blade this tall IMO. BTW they are great tools for parting and grooving . Power feed is best when using them and don't be shy crank up the feed. Either flood coolant or mist makes em happy, but dry works okay too.

michael

I just looked at the parting tool holder on my AXA and I bet the built in angle would add too much to the angle of the new insert holder huh?

you don't use these with your axa parting tool holder, you mount the hole shebang in a tool block.

michael

Parting and grooving is easily done only if your lathe can handle it, rigidity is paramount. Chatter is a big complaint when parting and grooving. Carbide likes to be worked and also needs a rigid set-up. Carbide will fail if you do not work it and have a solid lathe/set-up. What kind of lathe do you have? The Hertel set-up you are looking at is really for the production environment. But will definitely work in the HM if your lathe can handle it. I have a lathe that can, but I have been using HSS with no problems and have never found the need to use carbide parting tooling. And 95% of the time, I use HSS for general turning. Only grab the carbide when the material is too abrasive or hard…Good Luck, Dave.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the comment. My lathe is a grizzly G0602/G0759. I did a LOT of practice work on aluminum and cold rolled steel using hand ground HSS. I was looking for a bit of advantage once I felt like I sort of knew what I was doing and eliminated a few issues in my control. What I ended up with is a small machine jack under the tool holder which I now feel is an absolute must when I part or groove anything! It eliminated the flex and chatter issues I had early on.

But, I was having trouble using HSS on cold rolled 1018 so I bought a 1/8" wide brazed carbide parting blade for the QCTP holder. My complaint was the edge on the HSS would not hold up. I kept chipping the cutting edge on one corner or the other. I didn't change anything else and the result with the brazed carbide was a better chip and smoother cut and I almost never need to touch up the cutting edge.

With the price of the complete insert kit I may have to hold off on that for now.

Jim

i have an Aloris 77I cutoff blader holder for my BXA post, theres no angle, and it holds 19- size blades, or 3/4" blades, super ridgid setup, my parting blade is similar to those except mine is an Iscar Self-Grip, the Aloris holder is of the Indexable type, meaning i can hold 2 tool holders on my QCTP and just loosen the hold down nut, rotate and tighten, swapping between turning and parting without changing holders, they are meant for the Aloris BXA indexable tool post, that holds 4 holders, but it will work kinda half assed with 2 on a normal tool post

Hi. I just purchased the Hertal kit at the top of the page. Small question/problem.
When the blade is inserted in the holder, tightening down the center screw first and
then the outer 2 screws the blade does not get tight, the blade slides in the holder.
If I tighten down an outer screw first the blade does get tight. There are no instructions
included with the kit. In picture below, the center section there is a raised area. Should
I mill this flat so that the center section contacts the blade. I should think that there
should be even pressure across the whole blade.
Or just call ENCO and say hey whats up with this thing?

Thanks all, Dean.

IMG_7473.JPG

If it's a kit I'd call enco, it should hold the blade entirely, parting generates some of the highest tool pressure, that blade cannot move

Sorry for the delay. Enco stepped up to bat and replaced the other kit. The new one seems to work fine.
All the screws tighten the blade in place, not like before. I used it to part off a piece of aluminum.
Nice finish and no problems with the cut.

Back