Here's Why I Don't Like Air Guns Around Machine Tools!!!

4GSR

Forum Guest
Register Today
I pulled apart the carriage on my 14" Rockwell lathe and oh my! What a horrible mess!! Over 40 years of shavings collected in the apron of the lathe along with piles of compacted chips among the saddle! The only probably cause of this is the method of cleaning the lathe day to day using an air gun. Disgusting!

DSCN3724.JPG

DSCN3728.JPG

DSCN3729.JPG

DSCN3733.JPG

DSCN3734.JPG

DSCN3735.JPG

DSCN3737.JPG

Could another probable cause not be 40 years between cleanings? Also, that level of neglect would suggest that the lathe likely has the original way wipers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I pulled apart the carriage on my 14" Rockwell lathe and oh my! What a horrible mess!! Over 40 years of shavings collected in the apron of the lathe along with piles of compacted chips among the saddle! The only probably cause of this is the method of cleaning the lathe day to day using an air gun. Disgusting!
You should of seen my harrison lathe.... it was packed with chips like somebody made a paste with grease and swarf and pumped everything full.

Atleast you can see the gears !

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Yup, hot dawn sope rhen presure wash, dry,wd, oil,
Air is good in the right direction "Away from things"

I did a wood turning job once on my metal lathe. Notice how I said “once”. The saw dust went everywhere. Even used a vac. I’m still finding some of that saw dust in/on my lathe from years past. No more…Dave

When I took apart my new to me Bridgeport to fix it up. I found metal chips in places that you would think was impossible to do.

Last edited:
Back