Heres my Hendey lathe

Michaeljp86

Active User
Registered
Heres a picture of my lathe I got at auction. I think its a 16x48, it came with a new 3 jaw chuck, a 4 jaw, and small and huge faceplate. Also a steady rest and some tooling and some dogs, I think thats what they are called. And other stuff that Ill have to figure out what it is. Its a 3 phase so I had to get a converter. I paid $361 for it and another $50 for a used converter.

There doesnt seem to be many Hendey lathes around. If anyone has any info on them Id be glad to hear it.

DSCI1163.jpg

DSCI1163.jpg

I thinks sir, that you got an absolute bargain at that price, especially as you got tooling as well, as that often costs more than the machine! Clean her down, send in some pics, and have fun.
Phil
UK

I thinks sir, that you got an absolute bargain at that price, especially as you got tooling as well, as that often costs more than the machine! Clean her down, send in some pics, and have fun.
Phil
UK

A lot of the tooling is junk, broken carbide but there is some good stuff.

Very nice!! I have heard that hendey's don't have a threading dial. Is that true? If it doesn't how do you thread with it?

Thanks,
Chris.

I see a Hendly lathe has a $1.00 bid on an online auction. hoffonlineauctions.com

Probably cost more to ship it then to buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi: how far did it have to be shipped? Was it dismantled to be shipped?
These questions relate to it being an English manufacture and your in the US.
I never get a deal quite that nice! but almost!
dwdw47

Do you know where it's at? I clicked on the link but its broke...

Try this one http://www.hoffonlineauctions.com/

Very nice!! I have heard that hendey's don't have a threading dial. Is that true? If it doesn't how do you thread with it?

Thanks,
Chris.
Mine has a gearbox and a chart, you just find the TPI you want on the chart and set the 2 levers.

DSCI1212_zpsdcfc292f.jpg

Hi: how far did it have to be shipped? Was it dismantled to be shipped?
These questions relate to it being an English manufacture and your in the US.
I never get a deal quite that nice! but almost!
dwdw47

I see mine has Torrington Connecticut USA cast into it. I picked mine up so I dint have to have it shipped. It was at a shop called Niels automotive, they didn't work on cars but they did custom work like installing snow plows and dump beds.

DSCI1212_zpsdcfc292f.jpg

Nice to find another Hendey owner. Mine is a 40's 12 X 30. Have had it for several years now. These machines are rock solid heavy units. Mine is over 3000 lbs. It is true Hendey doesn't use a thread dial. Once you bring in the half nut you don't open it till your finished with the thread. Yours is considerably older than mine but you can see similarities. I have had the entire apron and cross slide off of mine to clear the automatic oiler oil galleys. They were fouled from lack of maintenance by the previous owner. If I can help in any way by answering questions you may have, don't hesitate.

Best Regards

DSC00230.JPG DSC00231.JPG

Back