Hemingway kits?

phubbman

Registered
Registered
I’m learning machinery basics and looking to both improve my skills and economically add some tooling to my shop. I have been looking into something better than the ”bump” type knurler that I have and stumbled upon the Hemingway kits website. This stuff looks great with kits ranging from simple and very reasonably priced to complex and spends.

Does anyone here have experience with these kits? How is the company to deal with? We’re the materials and instructions as advertised?

thanks in advance,
paulh

I've built the quick change tool post from Hemingway. The drawings are great, they answered questions promptly and delivery was quick. Stock and hardware supplied were excellent. They have a good reputation, you won't go wrong

I want to build their floating reamer holder.

It floats both axially and radially, and looks badass. It would look great in my wall mounted live center rack

I built the Hemingway rotary broach.

Drawings are excellent, as is the commentary that goes along with them. The drawings must be as-built - I didn't run across a single error. The supplied materials are very nice. The customer service is excellent.

I am looking at buying another kit from them.

I built their instrument-maker's vise and tailstock die holder. The castings on the vise were quite nice, and the tailstock die holder had a pretty interesting design. I'd recommend them, although I'll admit that I had a hard time understanding some of the instructions that were written using British colloquialisms.

No experience with their kits. If you are looking to make a knurler you should check out Mikey's detailed thread on how to make a straddle knurler. It is very similar to Hemingway's knurler. I am making a straddler knurler based on Mikey' thread modified to fit on my Norman style QCTP.

You can also check out Tom's Techniques for knurler plans. He has plans for a very rigid knurler although somewhat limited.

You can also check out Tom's Techniques for knurler plans. He has plans for a very rigid knurler although somewhat limited.
Tom's design is probably one of the best designs I have ever seen. I see a few limits to it that others get around but it seems to me that it is the most rigid design. I have seen Tom's videos in the past but for some reason never saw the knurler series of vids.

Back