Help with steady rest ID?

DeepLogic

Registered
Registered
Hi all, I am new to machine work, recently purchasing an old Atlas lathe that I'm learning to use. I have accumulated several bits that I'm refinishing and hoping to sell, but need some help with identification. This is a small four inch steady rest, which is marked "Hadley" and I can't find any information on them, or have any idea what lathe this might go to. When I got it, it was completely rusted up, with most of the bolts rusted in and broken off. Obviously the thumb screws are modern. I have measurements in the photo. It's one of those things that I wonder if since it is hard to find any info on it, that it is rare, or if nobody on the planet needs a 4" steady rest.
Any information is welcome.

steadyrest.jpg

Doesn't look like an Atlas part, but it is made for flat ways- hmm might be for a European/British machine- maybe Australian
Atlas didn't make an 8" swing lathe

I don't think so either (Atlas). Probably not that many lathes with four inch wide flat ways. I haven't been able to find one like it in any searches. It's well made, and doesn't look like it would be for a cheap hobby lathe. A mystery.

You could always make a spacer and use it on your atlas lathe. Have no idea what it originally fit.

Back