Help with my drill press

Fiorina

Registered
Registered
Brand new member, thanks for having me! So I have a SUNEX 5000a drill press. Long story short, it needs a whole new spindle assembly. But they don’t seem to make it anymore. Or at least not in a long time. I’ve looked off and on for years. And recently again I’ve tried to find one. No joy. I know little about drill presses, can I find a spindle to work from another manufacturer? And if so, how do I find out what will work for me? I have the quill and a new arbor and chuck. Really appreciate any help. Thanks!

If this is an import machine it may be more practical to just buy another drill press. You might be able to use a replacement part from a manufacturer like Grizzly or Jet but you won't know if it fits until you get it, so it's pretty much a gamble. Drill presses are so common on the used market it doesn't make sense to spend a lot of time trying to find parts for an older one unless it's a well-known brand or model from USA
That's my take on it anyway
-Mark

Welcome to the forum. Lots of really knowledgeable people on here who can probably help you out. They will need more info to provide meaningful answers.

What exactly is wrong with the spindle? Does it need new bearings? Pictures would really help. We will help you work through this.

I did a search and got lots of hits for a Sunex 5000a drill press. You can still buy them. There must be parts available.

Thanks! And yes you can buy the whole press, even certain individual parts. But I have looked high and low for a spindle and cannot find one. A few supplier sites list them but when I contact them to buy, they say the manufacturer hasn’t sent them in a long time. I’ve been told to check back in a few months multiple times by multiple places. Seems odd to me.
The original spindle is bent. I’ve thought about buying a new press like the poster above said, I just hate junking something this big that will work with right part! 987A65AB-DA03-48EB-98C7-E6C970BF4BAB.jpeg

I see a project. Lots of good practice, a spline, internal morse taper, some bearing fits. Looks like some juicy work there.

No.... I’m embarrassed to admit how it happened. Keep in mind I’ve never messed with this stuff! So I originally just needed a new arbor and chuck, the chuck was wobbly and the jacobs taper was chewed up. So I looked online and saw to remove it, you just put in the “key” (angled metal punch) into the cutout and smack it with a hammer to knock the arbor out, then install a new one. Simple enough right? Well it is NOT coming out, and in my attempt I bent the spindle. That arbor is stuck stuck. My thinking was I could never get it straight enough to rely on for drilling good holes.

Have you tried to straighten it?
That’s what I’ve done. I used an arbor press and feeler gauges to calibrate the amount of bend. With a good set of v blocks to check which way it’s going. I didn’t do a drill press but I’ve other shafts and it worked out way better than I would have thought.

Hello and welcome.

For sure the best approach is probably replacing the whole unit, Craigslist has import drill presses all the time or even go to your local Harbor Freight By the time you find another spindle that's exactly the same you could have been drilling holes a very long time.

However, you haven't told us exactly why you need a drill press but I'm with @MrWhoopee here and I think I know where he's going. At a minimum you should probably get yourself a 12x36 lathe, a Bridgeport mill, and a rotary table. You'll have yourself a new spindle in no time.

See what I did there........

John

Haha. Man I’d love to get that stuff. Can’t justify it at the moment though. Plus I’d need to learn how to use that equipment, but I’m willing to learn.

My drill press will mostly be used for home gunsmithing work. I’ve been using a small table top one, but it can’t do everything I want. Too small. I’d also like to expand to other projects. I’ve got an idea or two in my head for jigs/fixtures for helping to barrel a certain action type. I’m sure I’ll mess them up at first but it sounds like fun to try to make things myself.

Back