Help With Lathe Choice.i Need A Itemised List Of Everything

There are a number of YouTube videos on making the reels, depending on the size of the reel, a 11-13" swing lathe would give you the desired working envelop for the reels. You need a mill big enough to for something like a 5" rotary table, both horizontally and vertically mounted (something like a Grizzly T25937 - 5" Rotary Table). I use a Grizzly H7506 which has a 6" chuck and has indexable plates, but requires a much larger machines and is about 140lB. You probably want a rotary table with indexing plates which which will speed up some of the relief and drill patterns used on the reels. In the videos below he uses a Grizzly G0704 and the lathe is a Grizzly G9972Z (11x26), and you can get an idea of the necessary tooling. I do not see you needing a bigger mill, unless you plan on doing other projects requiring a bigger table/power). Some of the smaller mills come as packages, some with a DRO which is handy to have. I would lean toward a 12" swing lathe (used or new), possibly with more threading options in the gearbox, and a little more rigidity when removing a lot of material for the reels. On the Jig for the fly rod, I do not see that it would be a problem in machining it on a small mill in increments. You can fasten some guide blocks to the table and mill the V grove in the steel and screw holes in increments, sliding the bar stock along and then reclamping. You will need to machine the V grove in a series of passes to the desired depth.

Last edited:
IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0027.JPG IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0027.JPG
Sorry about the previous post Paul. Not the normal responce from this site.
Could you post some sketches of the jig or some photos of another. It would be helpful to visualize what you are trying to build.
I hope this helps ,it's the jig for making the Fly Rods,The Cold Rolled Steel bars,are 1 inch square,if you look closely at the end of the piece he's Planing ,you'll see the 60 degree triangle,he's trying to achieve,,I need to run a 30 degree angle along both bars ,makes a 60 degree angle.

Lathe....G0602
mill...G0759
That's what I have LOL-
You'll need about a year of teaching yourself.....and shazaam you be right where you need to be....[hopefully]
This has been my experience in self tought hobby machining.
Watch lot's of YouTube..........and south-bend makes a great book "how to run a lathe".
Titanium15160 on YouTube is awesome with small machines and he is over the pond.
The two machines I've listed have an incredible following and people do remarkable projects with them.
This hobby is just like owning a B.O.A.T.=[break out another thousand] LOL

I hope this helps ,it's the jig for making the Fly Rods

Thanks for the extra info.
Interesting, but I am not sure I understand......a few more questions.....

Is this jig basically a vise with 6 foot long jaws?
Is that just a regular woodworkers block plane? (I guess not the blade angle look almost perpendicular.....)
Does the blade actually run across the steel jaws?

It looks like the steel jaws simple grab the "points" of the triangular piece being held. I suspect that I just cannot see the groove you mentioned.

-brino

Lathe....G0602
mill...G0759
That's what I have LOL-
You'll need about a year of teaching yourself.....and shazaam you be right where you need to be....[hopefully]
This has been my experience in self tought hobby machining.
Watch lot's of YouTube..........and south-bend makes a great book "how to run a lathe".
Titanium15160 on YouTube is awesome with small machines and he is over the pond.
The two machines I've listed have an incredible following and people do remarkable projects with them.
This hobby is just like owning a B.O.A.T.=[break out another thousand] LOL
Thanks for your advice,i have allowed myself a good year at least ,to educate myself,Can you buy Grizzly Machine here in Ireland or the Uk?

Thanks for the extra info.
Interesting, but I am not sure I understand......a few more questions.....

Is this jig basically a vise with 6 foot long jaws?
Is that just a regular woodworkers block plane? (I guess not the blade angle look almost perpendicular.....)
Does the blade actually run across the steel jaws?

It looks like the steel jaws simple grab the "points" of the triangular piece being held. I suspect that I just cannot see the groove you mentioned.

-brino
In principle it's a 6 foot vise, Yes small plane runs over on top of the steel,Every 5 inches ,you increase depth of Jig by a few thousand mm,which gives a tapered effect,(this is what I'm picking up,from various forums,as, yet ,I have not done one yet) It takes 6 pieces of Bamboo to make 1 part of the Fly Rod( 6x 60 degrees ,= 360 degrees)

There are a number of YouTube videos on making the reels, depending on the size of the reel, a 11-13" swing lathe would give you the desired working envelop for the reels. You need a mill big enough to for something like a 5" rotary table, both horizontally and vertically mounted (something like a Grizzly T25937 - 5" Rotary Table). I use a Grizzly H7506 which has a 6" chuck and has indexable plates, but requires a much larger machines and is about 140lB. You probably want a rotary table with indexing plates which which will speed up some of the relief and drill patterns used on the reels. In the videos below he uses a Grizzly G0704 and the lathe is a Grizzly G9972Z (11x26), and you can get an idea of the necessary tooling. I do not see you needing a bigger mill, unless you plan on doing other projects requiring a bigger table/power). Some of the smaller mills come as packages, some with a DRO which is handy to have. I would lean toward a 12" swing lathe (used or new), possibly with more threading options in the gearbox, and a little more rigidity when removing a lot of material for the reels. On the Jig for the fly rod, I do not see that it would be a problem in machining it on a small mill in increments. You can fasten some guide blocks to the table and mill the V grove in the steel and screw holes in increments, sliding the bar stock along and then reclamping. You will need to machine the V grove in a series of passes to the desired depth.
Thanks Kindly for your help,I was wondering,could I make a Jig for a 6 inch grinder,angle it to 30 degrees,somehow true some guiding rails i.e. Parallel to grinder wheel,and,run steel bar past the grinding wheel in small increments,and maybe,smooth of with a 60 degree stone?I don't know if that is practical,any advise would be appreciated

Do not try setting up the guide rails. That is an invitation for disaster, especially on a grinder. The theory looks promising, I know, but in practise there is an extremely small margin between removing metal and jamming the work against the wheel. Don't do it.

-frank

Interesting...I was going to say: (But it it looks like most have been covered by input above:
1) You need (or sketch) a detailed set of prints with dim's and tolarences to work from...
2) Besides a lathe for the reel work you will need a mill plus you can use the mill for the rod fixture (by sliding the fixture to/for needed points/lengths/(maybe stops) (A 8" to 12" lathe and a small table top mill should be fine for this and other future work (Pass up the tiny machines)...
3) You will need, besides what yoose' get with both the lathe and mill; Bunches of tooling, instruments and some "support machines" that a "detailed" list that if I myself would attempt to post will be too long (and undoubtably I will forget many items (lol)...

4) You will need (or to learn while on this endeavor) the expertise needed in this (our passion of) Machining
Note and FYI, while maybe not needed to this degree (depending on ones goals and what be it (the product); A 4 and 5 yr Machinist or Toolmaker (Apprenticeships/training) program commonly require 2000 hrs each (1 yr of each) hands on of these "1st to learn" (start learning)" Machine Tools (Both The Lathe and The Mill transcend and "lend their selves" to all other machining/operations in a metal shop)

PS: I fish the Colorado Rockies every yr with a 50+ yr old Orvis Battenkill bamboo rod and Pflueger Medalist reel (Probably worth more now than a lathe and mill together! LOL)

Last edited:
Back