[How-To] Help with grinder

Mheaton92

Registered
Registered
I am rebuilding a sanford surface grinder and the start capacitor for the motor was gone. It was working but when I was tearing down I figured out it was gone. I ordered a new one but wanted some help connecting the new one. I will post some pictures of someone could point me in the right direction.
2613f500d6e136dec5f23afb317383eb.jpg

c968a33b684b62a9acc97ba3d96e45d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

does the motor plate give a capacitance value?
some motors don't utilize a start capacitor at all, just a separate start winding wired in parallel

does the motor plate give a capacitance value?
some motors don't utilize a start capacitor at all, just a separate start winding wired in parallel

When I get home I will check. There was a spot for it so I figured it took one but could be wrong.

It may be a split phase motor, they don't use a start capacitor

Here is the tag from the motor.
7ee03bbff747450af2a97d53c4f2a42c.jpg

Last edited:
So it seems like everyone is questioning if it even takes a start capacitor. I believe it does, someone else was restoring the same surface grinder. They had a motor with the same HP and brand. They sent me the start capacitor information and I ordered one, What I needed was help connecting it. I was reading about wiring it in but didn’t want to make any mistakes. Was just looking for some guidance.

It would be wired in series with either the wire from the centrifugal switch or the one from the start winding (both look like light colored fabric covered wires in post #1)
Polarity doesn't matter
So, one of those two wires goes to one post of the cap, the other post of the cap goes to power. If in fact this is a capacitor start motor.
-M
You mentioned in post #1 that the motor was working, if so why did you assume a cap was required/missing? Was the motor starting sluggishly?
Looking at post #5, it looks to me (if that's the factory wiring, and it may not be) it would be a tight squeeze to stuff a cap in there

Last edited:
Back