Help with dc motor test

Barncat

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a dc motor that I don’t have any immediate plans for, but also don’t want to store it forever if I don’t know if it is any good. Is there an easy cheap way to bench test this? It seems buying a power supply for it could be expensive, and I don’t want to do that until I know it works. E8EC3F92-FFF0-4F32-B24D-A23E94047647.jpeg

You can check the field winding with an ohm-meter. If it's wired for 200V and 0.4A that is 500 ohms, 100V at 0.8A would be 125 ohms. It might read 10-20% lower than that because its cold. But a reading under 50 ohms or open would be cause for concern.

Also want to check insulation between both field and armature to the frame. A hipot tester is best, but an ohm-meter will find any shorts.

No guarantees, but I suspect that if you hook both armature and field to a car battery it will spin. Slowly and with not much torque, but it if it spins that is a good sign.

And of course, you can check the bearings by giving it a spin by hand. Brush drag will be a factor of course. You might want to see if there is easy access to the brushes. Brush condition and wear will tell you something, and if you can temporarily lift them off the commutator it will make it easier to evaluate the bearings.

Thanks, I will try some of that this weekend. I had wondered about the car battery.

You can check the field winding with an ohm-meter. If it's wired for 200V and 0.4A that is 500 ohms, 100V at 0.8A would be 125 ohms. It might read 10-20% lower than that because its cold. But a reading under 50 ohms or open would be cause for concern.

Also want to check insulation between both field and armature to the frame. A hipot tester is best, but an ohm-meter will find any shorts.

No guarantees, but I suspect that if you hook both armature and field to a car battery it will spin. Slowly and with not much torque, but it if it spins that is a good sign.

And of course, you can check the bearings by giving it a spin by hand. Brush drag will be a factor of course. You might want to see if there is easy access to the brushes. Brush condition and wear will tell you something, and if you can temporarily lift them off the commutator it will make it easier to evaluate the bearings.

Brush rigging is a BIG concern with DC motors. The condition of the brushes themselves as well as the tightness of the brush rigging and condition of the armature. If the brushes are of acceptable length and the commutator is smooth, the rotating portion should be in good shape. And bearings, of course. The commutator should be a bright dark brown, almost light chocolate color. Bright copper color means the comm has been machined since it was last run. Not a good sign there.

If it "lopes" or runs hot, there may be a problem with the armature. Testing that involves disassembly of the motor and use of a "growler". Best done by a motor shop where they are fimiliar with DC motors. A growler is a metal stand with a "V" block on top and the sensor element is a hacksaw blade. Even an automotive electric shop can make the test.

The field is simply an electro-magnet (usually 2 or 4 poles) around the "pole shoes". A "hi-pot" tester is not really necessary, a megger can be used. They are different instruments. An ohm-meter will show a solid ground but a megger will show a high voltage leak. With a 200 volt field, the ohm-meter will give an indication that the motor is usable, the megger will give a GO/NO GO usable test.

Any connection less than 500K ohms from an electrical lead to the frame is a NO GO condition, same as any motor. Brushes can be held lifted by pulling the brush just above the spring and letting the spring hold the brush in place. Easy way for checking bearings. . .

Using a car battery will yield a very low power supply. If it even runs at all. It won't hurt the field, even 120 volts AC continuously won't hurt it if it checks OK with an ohm-meter. Might hurt you though. . . With the brushes locked up, even the "A" leads can be powered with 120V to look for leaks. Some types of motors can be run as "universal" motors but I don't think that one can. You could hook it up a bridge rectifier to 120 AC, but that's getting into electrical pretty deep so watch your step. As a side note, "field weakening" is a process where a DC motor can be run above base speed but speed regulation is seriously degraded. Staying with a "proper" controller per the nameplate is safer.

!! Residual magnatism of the pole shoes will cause the motor to run sometimes without the field powered up. Make sure the field is well protected, it could well "run away". That's dangerous for a DC motor.

a car battery would great test for the motor.
it will turn slowly, but if the motor is good it will turn.

That's a pretty big motor. I've had good luck with a beefy 12 v power supply. It works for testing treadmill motors.

Would a car battery charger with a jump/engine crank feature work without hurting anything? Seems like it should.

you most likely will need more amps than a battery charger would supply.
it may work, but i wouldn't risk messing up a charger unless you have extras

The Armature is rated 14+ amps but keep in mind that's at full load. Free-wheeling for a test, it would be much lower. Add the Field current into that and it approaches the limit for a high power battery charger. Using one with "Start Boost" would be safer, but they are rated against time. The longer the load is run, the lower the max rating. You probably would be able to "bump" the motor over to see if it runs. But I wouldn't let it come up to speed.

Looking at the nameplate gives no indication if it is Shunt, Series, or Compound for the field. It probably is pure shunt, but you should make sure before running it. A1,2 are the armature leads. F1-4 are a Shunt Field. S1-4 will be a series field, if there is one. Compound winding would have both Shunt and Series fields. Compounding is the source of many books and I won't get into it here. You're on your own there.

As stated above, if there is any residual magnetism and the field is not connected, the motor will try to run away. It is quite capable of slinging itself apart if run long enough. Think how you would handle an automotive starter motor. Assuming F1 and F2 to be one field and F3 and F4 to be the other, your connections (for any voltage up to 100) will be A1, F1, F3 together and A2, F2, F4 together. That's assuming the fields to be simple 2 wire shunt fields similar to a dual voltage AC motor. This is to be taken as a disclaimer if I'm wrong.

To reverse, swap A1 and A2. Reversing the field(s) to reverse the motor is possible. However, it is considered a very poor practice and is used only in special circumstances. I have worked with DC motors as big as 5000(five thousand)HP since 1966 and never seen a field reversed except on the bench.

Bill, it appears it is shunt ( I have no idea what that means)109A64B8-D7D6-4B5F-8069-F387630CC18E.png

Back