Help with buying a mill

weejax

Registered
Registered
I wanted to see if I could solicit some advice. I have an RF 30 clone currently (see below). I dont use it all that much. But when I need it, it does what it needs to do. Losing x/y when I need to raise the head is a pain, but I can live with it. I really want a legitimate knee mill though--like a Bridgeport J head or a clone. I live in Houston and actual Bridgeports dont come cheap here. So my questions are: should I even get one?--im a hobbyist and it will never earn its keep but it remains an object of desire. Are the benefits of a knee mill only marginal to this one? What clones would you recommend? Which ones have most parts in common with Bridgeport or are easiest to obtain? Thanks for any advice.

rf30.jpeg

This is a night vs day question . A knee mill is the most versatile machine in the shop . As far as BP vs clones , it's your preference . There are tons of clones and many I feel ( personally ) are built better than the Bridgports . That being said , I've owned or have operated most of them . I kept my Bridgeport because the accessories are always available . There are plenty of threads here you could check out on buying used vs new equipment . The PM mills may be an option if you're not into working on equipment making repairs if needed . It's a decision you have to make on your own .

If as you say "It remains an object of desire" then you should probably get one.
"Are the benefits of a knee mill only marginal to this one?" No, a proper knee mill is a step up to a whole another league of capability. Not only will you never have to worry about moving the Z axis again, you will get more rigidity to take bigger cuts and get better finishes, also have more capacity and versatility. It may never earn back the money you put into it but that's not what a hobby is about. Besides, the feeling of accomplishment one can get from making something, is priceless.

I found a baby Bridgeport (clone) and replaced my RF30 with it. Also not a need but it became clear with the first project how much more versatile it is than the bench mill.

As others have said, Precision Matthews is a forum sponsor and have a good range of knee mills available. If I had all the money and space I could want I would consider one of these.

John

I purchased a PM Mill on this forum's recommendations several years ago, only regret not being able to take it with me to Holland. As a retired Took & Die maker it did everything I wanted as far as a mill goes.

I wanted to see if I could solicit some advice. I have an RF 30 clone currently (see below). I dont use it all that much. But when I need it, it does what it needs to do. Losing x/y when I need to raise the head is a pain, but I can live with it. I really want a legitimate knee mill though--like a Bridgeport J head or a clone. I live in Houston and actual Bridgeports dont come cheap here. So my questions are: should I even get one?--im a hobbyist and it will never earn its keep but it remains an object of desire. Are the benefits of a knee mill only marginal to this one? What clones would you recommend? Which ones have most parts in common with Bridgeport or are easiest to obtain? Thanks for any advice.

View attachment 478514
You mill on your space and what plan to do.
A BP is a great mill but takes up a lot of space.
The bench type mill is less space.
The mini mill is great for space but is very limited to work basically small parts.

I have own a BP in pass today I have a small bench mill it does everything I need and needs very little space.

Dave

I was in the same boat before covid. I got tired of the work arounds I had to do with my RF-30 Clone. After searching through lots of clapped-out Bridgeport's I bought a new Grizzly G0678 in 2018. If you can find one Clausing 8520's and Delta Rockwell 21-100's are nice hobby size machines. The week after I purchased my Grizzy I found a Clausing and 2 Delta Rockwell mills which is the story of my life.

This is a night vs day question . A knee mill is the most versatile machine in the shop . As far as BP vs clones , it's your preference . There are tons of clones and many I feel ( personally ) are built better than the Bridgports . That being said , I've owned or have operated most of them . I kept my Bridgeport because the accessories are always available . There are plenty of threads here you could check out on buying used vs new equipment . The PM mills may be an option if you're not into working on equipment making repairs if needed . It's a decision you have to make on your own .
Agreed...

Back