Help with a hole to be perfectly vertical in a mill

Dial Test Indicator. Most everybody uses them Jo Pi has them in most of his videos. You can see how to use them their. I would get a nice straight tight pin sticking up about an inch and dial in the top sides and bottom sides. Links below to tools. I just used my home brew a couple of minutes ago. It is 1-1/4" CRS Rnd. The shaft is 2" long, 1/2" dia. The body is 1" long. Didn't measure the offset.

ps://www.ebay.com/itm/283940443276?hash=item421c2b548c:g:pl0AAOSw-dtgwP4i&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoFw8kEnciPKQBQZYHifx2KbxEHPqtui1peHe56oKM5AXHnuoX3V8qwCeQ3tjg7WyvChviPM%2FHpjEPFQyBWjUeg0ihaW3znyvhJSePwsOFrA0S5RsPIsfqoQWpHyk83TKFgczZkozoz3dty5Qqrf%2FBmjDbpZaAPgid%2F2xqYW%2BBlmtqwrrUnHIDmgYhRuYDohwPEOOFxfToZ2%2BITD7oHpbVNs%3D|tkp%3ABk9SR5Sivf7WYA

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2336705143...mE7eg0GQXTBWig55RSIWD3vaL5Rs|tkp:BFBMzJDI_tZg

I feel foolish I didnt know what the abbreviation stood for but I do have those. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought an edge finder may not work for the vertical, since it will still find the edge, even if the crank is at 10 or 20 degrees off. Ill use it for the center but homeade dowel or gauge pin is going to be my plan. Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Success!!!! Made a gauge/dowel pin that fit really snug! Indicated it vertical and horizontal to less than half a thousandth. Did a couple cuts and all went well!! Then the power feed decided to engage harshly(as it does occasionally) and bye bye 5mm end mill!!! Dog chewed up the couch today as well. I think its time for a cold one!! Thanks again for the help everybody! Really appreciate it!

Back