Help - wiring 120v single phase reversing motor to barrel switch

Windex

Registered
Registered
I tried... I really tried....

I have looked trough so many threads and schematics my eyes hurt.

I am trying to wire my SB 9" to a 120v 1/2hp through a drum / barrel switch that came with the lathe. I picked it up from an estate sale and the wiring was disconnected.

The motor has 7 wires and the switch has six contacts with continuity like this:

15-16.jpg

the Motor has the following plate: (sorry about sideways)

lRS4cSz.jpg

I'm assuming that lower voltage line means 120v and higher means 240v?
I would like to wire it 240v at some point, but would like to just plug it into a standard 110v wall outlet right now, even if it runs at lower power.

In the diagram above, do I just leave the brown orange and red connected together and tehn run hot to blue and neutral to the black white and yellow?

I have looked through a number of diagrams, but most are looking to wire to 240v and not to 120v.

Also, there are diagrams inside the switch, but none of the single phase seem to marry up to this particular motor configuration:

gO0YcNK.jpg

also switch:
hJ0iyJu.jpg

So, any assistance would be greatly appreciated. First lathe ever, and I've been futzing with the wiring unsuccessfully for a week. Apologies in advance if I missed a thread that details this situation.

Thanks in advance.

This should give forward and reverse: Be sure to connect the ground to the motor case (not shown) usually green wire from power cord
Dress the wires out from the switch so as not to interfere with the contacts, check with cover in place- use 14 or 16 ga. stranded wire
The 1/2 hp motor is small enough current draw there is no advantage to running it on 240 volt
Remember that this type of motor needs to come to nearly a full stop before reversing
Swap Red and Blk if required to match rotation with switch handle
120vsbch.jpeg

Last edited:
I see a broken tooth on your backgear- previous owner named Bluto perhaps? Popeye's nemesis?

Yes... Both the back gear and the gear it meshes with are missing way too many teeth. Used gears with all teeth present were bought off ebay and are waiting to be installed once the wiring is sorted

This is great. I have two lathes (the Delta and the Logan) with drum switches running forward in both directions of the switch…

Too afraid to try to rewire them to enable reverse thinking I might shortcut something and ruin them.

If that sketch works for you that's great, otherwise I can do another if your hardware is different

Last edited:
Back