Help, Sheldon Part Needed

Raymond96734

Registered
Registered
Hello Everyone,
Hopefully someone here will be able to help me. I really need this Carriage Lower Slide. I can't use the Lathe without it.
My Lathe: KQ 7052 ( 11" X 46 )
I Need Part No. K-129 Lower Slide. See Attachment.
Please let me know if you can help in anyway.
Thanks
Raymond

PART copy1.jpgLCS1A.jpg

Looks like this one is a different version of it?

Then there's Bourn & Koch Inc. I imagine their stuff would be $$$$

Thanks for the post.
I have seen that on Ebay and have been in communication with the seller. That style cross slide was used on the 10" Sheldon Lathes.
Seller says it's from an Early 11" Lathe. I asked for measurements and it seems it might just work on my 11" Lathe. Seller is also selling the upper Compound slide that was matched up with the lower carriage slide. I might have to buy both ( $ 300 + ) and Hope it will work on my Lathe. Seller does not take Returns.

I have checked with Bourn & Koch, they don't have that part

Wish me luck on finding the replacement part.
Thanks
Raymond

I would think the part you currently have is repairable. I'm assuming there was a huge crash that pulled the binding bolts up hard enough to break the lip off one side of the casting and crack the other side.

If it was mine, I would first measure the diameter and thickness of the top lipped section of the center pedestal. Then I'd put the original casting in the mill and remove the top section. Then I'd have someone make a duplicate of the top plate. (This is making the assumption this is your only lathe. If you have a second lathe you can turn a new plate yourself.) The new plate doesn't necessarily need to be made of cast iron. It can be made of mild steel, or even tool steel. I would make a slight counterbore in the bottom of the new plate to locate it on the pedestal remaining in the casting. You can then drill through the new plate and countersink for flat head machine screws in 3 or 4 places. Drill & tap corresponding holes in the remaining pedestal in the bottom casting and bolt the pieces together.

Last edited:
ProNut....
Thats a really good Idea!

( This is what I was thinking: I'm thinking of machining the complete Center piece out of some stock. Then drilling the old broken center out, removing the complete center. I would be left with about a 1.5 inch hole. Being as it is Cast Iron I would grind a v-slot all the way around and silver solder (braze) the new piece into the the hole. It would definitely be strong enough. Would be nice to find the replacement part first. )

I think I like your way better. I wouldn't have to worry about any warping and would do a surface grind to finish it off to make it flush.
If I do it my way, The heat will defiantly warp the slide and I would have to do som scraping to get it true again. Doing it your way would defiantly avoid that.

Thanks for your input! If I can't find the part? I am going to do what you suggested. Good Idea, Akamai! ( Smart ) in Hawaiian.

Thanks, ProNut...
I hope you don't mind I call you ProNut, I think it's a good nick name.

Aloha,
Raymond

Back