Help repairing Fowler dial caliper

Dial Indicator Problem

I have a Mitutoyo Model 2416 D I. The big hand catches on the numbers . I would like to remove the glass face and give the hand a little clearance. I can not see how to remove it. has anyone had this problem and fixed it, it only does it one or two times a day. it looks like the rotating face is a little loose from use . I got it used . any ideas? Thanks Doug

Gentlemen, et al,

Once upon a short time, I worked for Fowler (1976). Taking apart calipers was the first thing I learned. They got a lot of them back for repairs. Mostly Helios, I think. The bezel, unless it has 3 set screws, prys up, (yes - that's what i said), with a screw driver on each side. Just lever it up.
The base under it is plastic. Don't take out the lens. You need special dies to put it back. The lenses start out flat. OK, there are hand pullers made. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/370908034088?lpid=82 They hook around the side of the hand, and you push down on a knob that extends a pin, to push the pinion out. But, you can make a simple one out of brass or steel. File it out to fit around 2 sides of the hand, tap a smal hole / 0x80 or 1x72 / file down the tip of a threaded rod, or screw, to fit into the hole. OR, take 2 jewelers screwdrivers, and lever it out with a quick snap. Careful to cover the face first - the dial, not yours:)-

Now it gets interesting - there's a retainer for the pinion! It holds it in place. The gear has a groove in the center, that retainer fits into. That's easy, isn't it?? One more thing, as i remember, there may be paper or plastic shims behind the rack. be sure to put them back in the same positions.

Best,
Payson.

Paper shims ????

71kbQiwqfNL._AC_UL320_SR316,320_.jpg

General purpose tool for Fowler indicators.
I purchased 4 Fowler indicators to replace my degrading Shars indicators (go them the same time I got my Fowler Caliper).
Still using the last Shars indicator the Fowlers were supposed to replace, the Fowlers are sitting in a pile with other useless junk.

longIslandIndicator.com has lots of good advice for DIY repairs on all type of gages, calipers included.
Seems you have to remove the crystal and bezel, which can be purchased as a unit.

Back