HELP: Removing the motor on my 2HL

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
This is driving me a bit nuts. I'm trying to remove the motor from my 2HL to clean the 2" of gunk underneath the motor plate and on everything else. But I am stuck.

I have the 2 rear bolts off. But there is no way, that I can see, to get to the front bolts. At least not without removing the fan and pulley, which is pressed onto the motor shaft, so I can't see that being how.

Do I need to remove the pivot plate all at the same time? But I can't see how I can get behind the motor to loosen the lock screws on the pivot pins.

Any tips or tricks I can try?

On my #3 I was able to get the front two motor bolts off after removing the belt without removing the pulley, from the pulley end. It took quite a bit of contorting and finding the right wrench/socket.

I will look at mine today while I am at the shop. I don't remember it being an issue. The bigger mess will be when you clean the coolant tank out in the baseo_O Mine was a 5 gallon bucket of sheer nastiness. The little gear pump does fit out the hole, even if it looks like it doesn't!
Cheers
Martin

I will look at mine today while I am at the shop. I don't remember it being an issue. The bigger mess will be when you clean the coolant tank out in the baseo_O Mine was a 5 gallon bucket of sheer nastiness. The little gear pump does fit out the hole, even if it looks like it doesn't!
Cheers
Martin
Thanks.

I got the coolant out recently, sort of. I pumped out all that I could see with a home made fluid pump. That was disgusting. There's 4 gallons of K-1 sitting in there now, hopefully dissolving what I couldn't see. I'll likely pump int out in the next week or so. Hurt my back trying to get the motor out so now I am down for a bit.

Let me know what you see on yours. There's another large square head bolt/screw up near the front of the motor (right next to the fan) that's going to be in the way of me getting to that bolt. That also looks like a super tight fit to get out.

I checked out my 2HL and you can get two bolts from the pulley side and 2 bolts on the speed selector side. Mine must be different than yours? Unless you are talking about the motor mounting plate, but I think that just flips up after the motor is removed and the belt tensioner loosened.

I attached a parts drawing.
Not much help, but ....
Martin

Attachments

• K&T.pdf
    518.8 KB · Views: 6
I tried to send the whole manual but it says it is too big. My computer whiz(wife) isn’t here right now so I am kind of lost on how to do it. I think it can be downloaded over at Vintage machinery.org
Martin

I have the parts diagram already, but thank you just the same.

Here's a couple pictures of the pulley side. I can't see how I can easily get my hand and a wrench passed the pulley and the fan to get to those bolts! They are tucked back in there quite a ways! lol. Maybe I have fat hands?

GH018030.jpg
GH018025.jpg

Mine seems to have a lot more room around the pulley. Hard working on your hands and knees though. Makes everything harder.I’ll have another look tomorrow. Martin

I'm going to try and remove the bolts tomorrow. Failing that, I just noticed on the pulley that there might be a cap on the end of it that's been painted over, hiding the end of the shaft. I should be able to get a puller on that and remove it and the fan.

GH018025.jpg

Success!

c8632049fadacbba1b4d54d8ed7f0900.jpg

Back