Help Please With Led's

Keep us posted of the results ether fail or pass. Sounds interesting.

I wouldn't bother with 5mm LEDs, go straight for the high power ones:
http://intl-outdoor.com/noctigon-xp16-v2-uv-365nm-led-p-835.html
test
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/35500

another one
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/43390

stick one in a cheap single LED 3 AA or 3 AAA light off eBay or wherever and you'll have a much better light for not much more money.

As for the merits of the treatment, I'm no MD, but be careful - UV radiation causes thymidine dimers which in turn can cause cancer. You wouldn't want to cause one disease while curing another!

Try Mouser also. Digikey usually has a high minimum order.

They use to have a $25 minimum but that seems to have changed. I recently called and they said no minimum. I then placed a sub $10 including postage and it went without a hitch.

They use to have a $25 minimum but that seems to have changed. I recently called and they said no minimum. I then placed a sub $10 including postage and it went without a hitch.
Good to know they changed their policy.

If using discrete LEDs, you need to look closely at the data sheet to sort out how the special content changes with applied current/voltage. Also, remember that most organic materials start to absorb strongly in the near UV (A) regime, i.e., any plastic cover will be a strong attenuator. To echo some of the other folks, this wavelength regime is dangerous - please wear eye protection at the very least. I would also strongly suggest that you discuss these experiments with a medical professional. Please be safe.

Once again I can see I am out of my depth here.
My knowledge of electronics is rudimentary at best.
I am in contact with my doctor and he is reading up on it.
My plan was to mount the flash light on top of a small cardboard box and cut a hole in the side just big enough for my hand. Turn on the light for 5 minutes than skip a day and do another 5 minutes.
The reason for this test is I don't want to be on drugs for what remains of my life.

The first pills they gave me really screwed me up. Lost most of my hair and felt like a zombie. There is no way I am going to live the rest of my life like that.
So I'm looking for a better way to deal with it.
Sorry for the rant.
If I can source out the right parts I sure could use help putting it together.
I'm going to try to find led's in the middle of the 340-400nm range. 370nm seems like the sweat spot.
I'l keep you guy's posted on my progress.
****G*****

The bases for this therapy is not topical (Exposure to the skin), it has to do with the ability of this wavelength of light to penetrate through the skin and have an effect on your circulating white cells, specifically T-Cells. The amount of cells affected is based on area treated/exposed to the light, penetration of the light (intensity) and blood flow through the area. The latter would be higher in a warmer climate. Intensity, Area, Duration and Frequency of treatment all would influence the volume of white cells affected. I do not believe that a flashlight with different LEDs would provide the area nor the penetration (output/lumens) that seems to be needed for this form of therapy, so to give it a reasonable chance of seeing an affect I would try to replicate the conditions used in the medical studies. I have spent 30 years conducting medical trials, and still do some consulting in biotech. Have seen a lot of different medical therapies, some work, most do not. I just believe you need to try to replicate the actual treatment conditions, and have some means to evaluate the response. Spending $40 on a bulb may be reasonable when you consider the cost of other treatments. Work with your local doctor.

Back