Help needed with Vevor MX-S716G gremlins

@steve.mcclelland1 - You said "So the lathe needs to have forward or reverse selected before the green power on button will work." This seems strange to me. I can't see the 'direction switch' in the Vevor images - Is this the same switch that's common on 7x lathes, with Rev-0-Fwd ? And, if the switch is in the 0 position, and the green power button (under the emergency red button flap) is pushed, the lathe electronics will not power up?
EDIT: I just double checked my lathe with its brushless motor. It's impossible to set it in motion with the power switch. If the speed knob is above the minimum position (zero RPM) on power up, the motor will not run. The speed dial has to be turned down to zero, and then 'up' again. If the direction switch is in Rev or Fwd, the motor will then run. After that, the motor can be started and stopped using just the Fwd-0-Rev switch, but I only do this at low rpms when threading. I got into the habit of always turning the speed knob to zero when using the brushed motor and controller.
Hi VicHobbyGuy, it is the same as Rev-O-Fwd. I was under the impression that you first select (forward/reverse) direction. Then press green power button and use the speed control (0-2500rpm) dial to start spindle/chuck rotating and set desired rpm's.

The motor is actually performing as advertised so you can't really fault them there.
The real problem is that the reliability of these types of controls- they fail often and there is no
support from the vendor or even diagrams provided- you are completely on your own.
Besides that, this brand usually comes with a number of mechanical problems as well, some quite serious.

The motor is actually performing as advertised so you can't really fault them there.
The real problem is that the reliability of these types of controls- they fail often and there is no
support from the vendor or even diagrams provided- you are completely on your own.
Besides that, this brand usually comes with a number of mechanical problems as well, some quite serious.
Sorry Mark i'm still a little confused here. So a brushless continuous variable motor, this one being 150-2500rpm as soon as it's powered on rotates at min rpm? I thought that when powered on it would be at zero rpm until you turned speed control and then it would operate at min rpm.

Some machines won't start until you turn the speed control to minimum first, but apparently this one is different
I presume that on your machine if you left the control at midpoint then it would come back on at midpoint?
If so I would get in the habit of always turning it to minimum when you are finished for the day

Last edited:
Hi VicHobbyGuy, it is the same as Rev-O-Fwd. I was under the impression that you first select (forward/reverse) direction. Then press green power button and use the speed control (0-2500rpm) dial to start spindle/chuck rotating and set desired rpm's.
I think of the power switch as 'powering up the system' and the Rev-0-Fwd switch as the go-no go control.
It's been mentioned already that the speed control spec for your lathe doesn't start at zero (not 0-2500), unlike most of the 'simpler' 7x lathes. Unless your Vevor came with a 'no questions asked' free return policy, it seems that you might have to keep it.
BTW, I didn't notice whether you said whether it will power on with the direction switch in 'neutral' - the 0 position, or with the speed control above the minimum position..

Last edited:
Some machines won't start until you turn the speed control to minimum first, but apparently this one is different
I presume that on your machine if you left the control at midpoint then it would come back on at midpoint?
If so I would get in the habit of always turning it to minimum when you are finished for the day
Yes that's right. Arrhh hindsight hey. I think after this one Chernobyl's itself I'll be back for more advice on my next purchase. Thanks for help.

I think of the power switch as 'powering up the system' and the Rev-0-Fwd switch as the go-no go control.
It's been mentioned already that the speed control spec for your lathe doesn't start at zero (not 0-2500), unlike most of the 'simpler' 7x lathes. Unless your Vevor came with a 'no questions asked' free return policy, it seems that you might have to keep it.
BTW, I didn't notice whether you said whether it will power on with the direction switch in 'neutral' - the 0 position, or with the speed control above the minimum position..
It won't start in neutral position but it will start at what ever rpm's speed dial is set to. That's where i got a little lost. I figured if there is a dial that says 0-2500rpm that i could turn it to 0 and have the spindle stop rotating. Thanks for the help.

Check it over carefully for any mechanical problems- there are probably a couple areas that need attention/adjustment
If there is anything that warrants a partial refund this is the time to make a fuss- let us know your experience with the machine

If you ever see a Hercus lathe for sale in your area, they are very good. Like a South Bend with roller bearing headstock

Last edited:

My SEIG (LMS 5100) will start no matter where the speed control dial is set.

EDIT: Except at zero.

Last edited:
Back