HELP! NEEDED G0704 Mill X-Axis Gib DOES NOT FIT

You can order is dvd's but the class is not on line. I hope he comes to Fl one day as I would take his class in a heart beat. He teaches one how to hand scrap in a machine

RWL, thanks. This is very interesting. Who is Richard King? Is this an on-line course?

Best regards,

Frank

Richard King is an instructor in machine scraping who gives 3 day seminars to groups of hobbyists as well as travelling to manufacturers to teach their workers, in particular to Taiwan. He sells a video on ebay that is helpful:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEARN-TO-HA...184?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27dfdf0798
You also get a copy of the DVD when you take the class. It illustrates scraping techniques, but IIRC it doesn't cover things like dovetail scraping and machine alignment and gib straightening, things he covers in the class since the class is geared toward machine rebuilders. He told us at the class that he liked being on this message board, but had a disagreement with management and now hangs out elsewhere.

Actually, I should add to Richard's background. His father was a machine rebuilder and Richard and his brother followed in the business. IIRC, they were relatively early adopters of Biax power scrapers when they were new to the US. There was demand for someone to teach power scraping at the manufacturers and Richard wound up with this as an add on to their business, which for him eventually outgrew the machine rebuilding part. I believe he still does some rebuilding at his shop. He's getting close to retirement age, so if you're thinking of taking one of his seminars, better do in the next few years. He didn't say anything about retirement at the seminar however.

I know this is an old thread. Hoping to see some updated replies.
I'm converting my G0704 to CNC. I went to re-assemble the Y axis and the gibs are too tight. They slide in nice but the last inch or so get wedged.
I've seen in previous post that the X and Y gibs are different sizes and tried them both but no go.
Is it normal that the gibs be thicker at one end than the other?
The end with the notch is about .050 larger on both gibs.

The gibs look nice and flat. When I check on a metal flat surface there is no visible gab in the middle and it doesn't look twisted.
I can't image them getting bent. When I removed them I labeled and placed them in a wooden parts box for safe keeping.

How can these things appear to grow (swell)? I know that there can be variations in thickness based on temperature.

Are these gibs hand scrapped?

Whats the best way to repair? Do I buy replacements or try and grind/sand to fit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yes. The gibs on a G0704 are tapered. They have to be inserted thinner end first. The Y gib is inserted from the front side of the mill. See page 41 of your manual for how to adjust it. Unless they have been bent or otherwise damaged, they shouldn't need repair. Hope this helps.

Tom

After some more research I did learn that the gibs are tapered. I also broke out the manual for the mill however there wasn't much in the gib section. Seems like every source I run across the gibs should just slide in and then adjusted with the screws.

This is a shot in the dark but I just ordered two new gibs (X and Y) from Grizzly. We'll see how that turns out.
I'm also going to call tech support in the morning and see if they have any ideas.

Check your old gibs using a piece of glass to ensure they are straight. They are tapered as mentioned and must go in the correct direction. Remember the adjustment screw on the far (narrow) end keeps the gib from wedging in too tight and binding between the ways. The way is also tapered so that the way and the gib combined equal a flat equal sliding surface when installed correctly. As mentioned you must have the correct gib on the correct axis and they must be inserted from the correct end/direction narrow end first. In addition the rear/back adjustment screw (at the narrow end) should be installed and adjusted so the gib cannot go in far enough to cause binding. Initially keep it adjusted in a bit extra until everything is installed, then loosen the rear (narrow end) a slight bit at a time while tightening the front until you have a happy medium between no play and free movement of the axis. Additionally don't over tighten the adjustment screws or what happens is you squeeze the gib between them causing it to bow, bind or possibly bend the gib. I initially also had problems reinstalling mine after a CNC upgrade, but once I did a little research and had a better understanding of how they fit, operate and which direction they went in, it was a simple process to install and adjust them. As usual (at least for me) it seems the simple things can cause the most problems and the gib installation and adjustment can qualify. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited:
I've been leaving out both adjustment screws thinking it should slide in ok without them.
I'll try installing the screw for the narrow end and see if that makes any difference.
Thanks for your comments.

I've been leaving out both adjustment screws thinking it should slide in ok without them.
I'll try installing the screw for the narrow end and see if that makes any difference.
Thanks for your comments.

Here's a good visual of how to install and adjust the X-axis gib on a G0704. The same principle applies to the Y-axis gib.

Tom

I know this is an old thread. Hoping to see some updated replies.
I'm converting my G0704 to CNC. I went to re-assemble the Y axis and the gibs are too tight. They slide in nice but the last inch or so get wedged.
I've seen in previous post that the X and Y gibs are different sizes and tried them both but no go.

The gibs look nice and flat. When I check on a metal flat surface there is no visible gab in the middle and it doesn't look twisted.
I can't image them getting bent. When I removed them I labeled and placed them in a wooden parts box for safe keeping.

How can these things appear to grow (swell)? I know that there can be variations in thickness based on temperature.

Are these gibs hand scrapped?

Whats the best way to repair? Do I buy replacements or try and grind/sand to fit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
just had the same problem , had the gibs reversed , make sure you are putting them in from the wide side as the are tapered ! I also noticed that you ordered gibs from grizzly , I brke one and had to make a new one , you are going to need a grinding table to do them accurately , I cut one to length, ground it on my bench grinder. it is a real pib and you have to make sure you grind them flat , end to end until it silde all of the way through the gib slot , then you can cut it to length with a hack saw or whatever you have , a mill with a face cutter can do it as well , if you have access to one or you can get a shop to do it ! But for me I would grind and try it , over and over until it goes in smoothly ! Good luck !

Back