Help me save this router

borges1

Registered
Registered
Seized the main bearing in this 3.25hp router motor last week. I ordered new bearings, tore it apart and put it back together - wrong. So i had to take it apart again. During the second disassembly i must have done something to the fine threads on the armature in the first picture: it fit the first time, but not the second. The collet nut is hardened steel, and aside from some adhesive in the threads which i mostly cleaned out looks fine. The threaded end of the armature is not hardened, so i carefully chased the threads with everything i could think of. The collect nut threads on 1/4-1/2 turn and then locks rock solid. i fussed and fussed the threads, eventually chamferering the whole thing with a file (as seen in picture) in an attempt to get the nut to thread on. No go. finally i bolted the motor down and visually checked the concentricity of the armature threads: they seem fine. No mater how i try to thread the collet nut on it does not appear to go on concentric, so it must be cross threaded? but i cannot get the thing on straight. I'm at a loss and need the motor going for work. any suggestions? I have a benchtop mill, no lathe.

I tried to order a replacement, but apparently this size motor is a sudden rarity in the post-covid wold. I cant find one that fits inside the machine that is in stock anywhere.

Extra credit:
The bearing is press fit onto the armature (very tight), and pressed into the aluminum router body so the alunumum body is sandwiched between the collet and some internal fan parts on the armature. the bearing is retained with a plate that mounts to the outside of the aluminum router body (though as i said, very tight, i cant imagine it moving). What would the proper method be for removing it and reinstalling the bearing? Anyone have a recomendation on a bearing puller kit that is above the el cheapo grades? i've got lots of european machines that will probably need maintenance and i'd like to be ready to do it right. Automotive size kits seem a bit big. My max bearing sizes are probably 4"/120mm.

Have you checked the internal threads on the collet nut? Sometimes that could be the problem.

I've checked the internal threads as best i can. they do seem fine, the collet nut is hardened so i don't see how it could have been damaged compared to the much softer armature. its frustratingly mysterious why i cant get it to thread on straight - this isn't my first day! it is some oddball super fine thread, but it came apart and went together fine several times before failure.

@borges1

I can't quite tell due to focus and glare issues, but the first 2-3 thread look like they are flat on top.
While the threads further in look to have regular 60 degree points.
Perhaps there was some grit in the nut during one of your test fits, or it got buggered up while on the bench/vise/press.
ScreenShot539a.jpg

The concern is whether they got mushroomed over a little.

Do you have thread files to match that thread?
like this:
1706811693793.png
that would be my go-to, that and a bucket of patience......

Of course the first step is identifying the thread with confidence.

Brian

Check the nut carefully. I've had situations where hardened threads fractured along the root, yet were still attached at one end and displaced when mated with the other part, causing it to jam. Also, I once had a similar nut split down one side so it was able to open slightly and cross thread. It wasn't easy to see at first.

The collet threads are most likely metric. I would concur with the others that suggest a thread file

i do not have thread files, just was really careful with some small needle files chasing the thread around while rotating the armature. i've never seen a thread file anywhere near asfine and these threads appear to be. its not possible check the thread with my thread finders since they thread on and this is like 1"/25mm. diameter. perhaps i can get a pitch of them? any suggestions on good thread files?

after much failure i did take a larger file and chamfer/remove some of the initial threads do see if i could make it go, thus the appearance of rounding.

ill look at the nut again for hidden failures. there was a wire edge in there i thought was just the tip of a thread coming off, but perhaps that was a symptom of the other issues described.

Back