Help me identify collet and help remove

Browning1919

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased a index milling machine. I am a novice to machining. Can any one tell me what type of collet is in the mill and why it won’t come out. I understand how to remove a r 8 collet. I’ve used a 3 lb hammer in it multiple times with no luck any help would be appreciated 3EF50FE7-8E8A-4169-9AD2-1C52F9DEC55C.jpegDDE9D8F2-5991-4098-9487-8D1E5A2D9744.jpegAF0DE31C-37F9-404D-A7DA-8E422004406E.jpeg0424D4D7-0C21-4A11-ADCE-13A00DBC4D04.jpeg

That looks similar to a Gorton engraver collet and nut, on it, the collet is pushed out from the front, enough pressure needs to be exerted to collapse the collet.

i can't tell you what collet it is, but the index spindle may be R8 from the looks.
if you loosen the drawbar a few turns and give the drawbar a firm smack downwards, it may just release the collet holder
it may take a few spirited whacks if the collet holder has been rusted in place

I know the machine was sitting for 5 years and sat outside under a tarp for a winter. So I’ve been soaking with penetrating oil. And have wacked the drawbar on more than one occasion. I just don’t want to do any damage nothing seams to be moving

What John said kinda makes sense- from the looks of it your table got a bit engraved
So it's the collet holder that you are trying to remove, correct? The collet came out with the nut still on it, but it's the holder that's stuck in the spindle.
Like Mike said it probably needs a good wacking, with a piece of 4x4. Maybe a little heat and more penetrating oil
You could also try playing "School's Out" by Alice Cooper really loud :)

-M

Last edited:
Yes exactly it’s the collet holder that’s stuck in place. Heat is there anything I would need to worry about getting to hot.

The nut on the mill spindle looks like Erickson Quick Change, do you have the spanner for it? The other adapter and nut I have never seen before.

1623033957544.png

1623033848433.png

I don’t have the spanner wrench for it. But I have put a pipe wrench on it. It will only move 1/8” in either direction

It does look oddly different than mine. Mine doesn't have the holes in the bottom of the nut. But I'm pretty sure that you need to loosen or remove that nut to get the collet holder out of the spindle.

Mine just needs to be loosened about half a turn or so and the collet holder will come out.

Back