Help identifying a reamer

twooldvolvos

Registered
Registered
I am relatively new to machining and am trying to put a selection of reamers together. Can anyone help me identify what size and type of reamer this is? It measures about .512. I have written down all the numbers printed on the reamer in the picture. Surely, with this many number I should be able to define what it is but I have not been successful. Am I missing something?

IMG_5567.JPG

Looks like your basic chucking reamer to me.

Are you asking how to accurately measure the size? I find it hard to measure reamers.

Are you asking how to accurately measure the size? I find it hard to measure reamers.
My main question was why I couldn't identify the reamer from the letters and numbers on it. I guess I was looking for something more descriptive like "7/16" or similar. I agree that measuring a reamer is tough and so I do not trust my measurement a lot. Thant is why I was hoping to be able to identify it from the letters and numbers.

I kooks like the nomenclature describes it as a special size for a particular job; reamers such as that one are simple to measure, since these tyep of reamer have slight back taper, just measure across the flutes just behind the chamfer on the end, the diameter is circular on the land at the cutting edge, and then relieved at an angle so that it won't drag in the cut.

My main question was why I couldn't identify the reamer from the letters and numbers on it. I guess I was looking for something more descriptive like "7/16" or similar. I agree that measuring a reamer is tough and so I do not trust my measurement a lot. Thant is why I was hoping to be able to identify it from the letters and numbers.
It could well have been ground by an in-house toolroom. The numbers could be tied to a particular job, as @benmychree mentioned, and they'd be meaningless to everyone else. Any idea where it came from?

GsT

I buy a lot of tooling from auctions. I’ve found a lot of reamers are etched faintly with the size or the are hand engraved with the size. Good lighting and a magnifier are needed a lot of times. As for measuring I have a shop pair of veneer calipers I use. I rotate the reamer to find the high spot and run with the highest number. Me at times I will drill and ream a practice hole to verify my sizing. Different oils and speeds can change that size by tenths too.

Back