Help/Ideas for turning 2⅛" 303 stainless with low power

What is the difference between CCGT, and CCGX?

What is the difference between CCGT, and CCGX?
Basically the same thing. xxGT-AK is the high rake ground edge insert. xxGX indicates high rake “special” which a couple manufacturers use (specifically ZCC sold through Shars) as a code for a polished and ground insert.

Thanks for all the great replies. I made progress with the DMCT and REALLY sharp HSS on Monday but got sidelined with another project. Still have a lot to learn.

@macardoso thanks for the links. I will definitely be ordering some GT/GX inserts to try. I’ve got plenty of aluminum, too, so they’ll go to good use either way.

Again, thanks everyone for all the insights and suggestions.

HSSCo ground with sharp corner - high rake - high feed - small DOC. Don't worry about surface finish until the end of the job. WD40 helps too.

Wish I had a scrap source like that, just not willing to live in southern California to get one. Maybe something near Boeing.

If I may ask, how much did that chunk set you back?
It’s $261 on the web plus shipping.

I can't help much with your questions, but

YOU FOUND 4' OF 2-1/8 303 AT THE SCRAP YARD?!?!!!!
I had a similar experience with my local metal retailer/scrap yard.

I stop by every time I'm in the area to see what's in the scrap bins, and one day found a bunch of 303 stainless round rod in three diameters.

I got the following:

1.5" diameter rods, 1 each in the following lengths: 27", 30.5", 32" and 36".
1.75" diameter rods, 1 each in: 25.5", 32.5" and 2 at 42".
And one 2.75" diameter rod at 39".

It had all come in as rods of 8+ feet and they had cut them up just to get them to fit in their recycle bins! The material was sold for scrap by the Idaho Department of Forestry, go figure!?

I got it all for 1.25 a pound, wish now I had bought more!

Needless to say, I stop in very regularly to see what the day might bring :)

50” Powermatic fence on a Jet. The original fence wasn’t up to my needs and I scored the new one on the last day of a going out of businesses sale. Great sale. 25 years later and I still haven’t used all the PSA sandpaper discs I got…

Back