Help, I need a decent drill chuck.

5-4-13 10:56 AM

I called Grizzly and they could not match number G0407 with any item. Check the number and get back to me. If you have a users/parts manual
that came with it, it may have the specs of the spindle. :))

RSVP
jbollman

Sorry, it's a g0704. 5e6amu3e.jpg

I agree the Jacobs 14N is a great chuck - if you can find a US-made one. Danaher has taken over Jacobs and most of their stuff is now made in China. Older 14N's do pop up on ebay so that is a good place to start.

Why not a used Albrecht? They are the gold standard for industrial keyless chucks and can also be purchased for reasonable prices on ebay. Simple to rebuild if needed and parts are available. This is what I would choose unless you are going to be using large diameter drills; in that case a 14N would be better.

Rohm is good, too. I have two of their keyless chucks and the Supra chucks are very good. Should come in close to what your price when on sale, or less on ebay. It isn't an Albrecht but I doubt you could tell the difference at DP speeds.

How hard are they to get off of a different taper so I can put on a r8. I've never taken one off before.

I have a Jacobs 14N super chuck on my G0704 and have been verry pleased with it.

The grizzly arbor won't fit the 14N chuck you will need a new arbor also. But to get the chuck off of one of the abors you have
. Open the chuck all the way and use a drift pin to knock the arbor out.

Its always a good idea to buy a new arbor for a new chuck. If you buy a used chuck with an arbor already stuck in there it can vary from very simple to very difficult to get the old arbor out. If the guy who put the arbor in knew what he was doing the arbor will come out easy; if not then you may have to disassemble the chuck to get it out. Depends.

Scored a 14n for $32. Thanks for the advisement.

Last edited:
Scored a 14n for $32. Thanks for the advisement.

Wow! That's a great price! I use all Jacobs Ball Bearing chucks when I can. I have 14N, 18N, and I even adapted a 20N to a 5C arbor for my headstock and Hardinge TM.

Bernie

Back