Help, I need a decent drill chuck.

24more

Active User
Registered
I have a grizzly g0407. The drill chuck that came with it is not even close to ok. It accidentally came with two and they both suck. I'm not looking for a top-of-the-line. Just something decent. Would like to stay under $75.

What's wrong with the latest new one? Put a straight shaft in it and indicate off the shaft in a few positions. That's what counts. Doesn't make a difference if the body appears to wobble a little.

Ray

Have you ever checked out Polar Tool in North Mpls? They have good quailty used tools. Rick told me don't bring in your Enco catalog and try to compare his prices with Chinese junk.

<center style="display: inline !important;">Richard Ostman - 612-521-0409 - polartool@gmail.com

</center>

What's wrong with the latest new one? Put a straight shaft in it and indicate off the shaft in a few positions. That's what counts. Doesn't make a difference if the body appears to wobble a little.

Ray

They will work for most stuff. Problem is when I put a decent bit in them, they wobble enough that they don't even hit the punch divot. They are quality drill bits, same as we use at work. I want a chuck that shoots straight. Put a short piece of 3/8 drill rod in it and its ugly.

What shank does it have. i am not familiar with that model but I have several excellenrt chucks. I closed my shop and sold most machines, Still have lots of tooling.

What shank does it have. i am not familiar with that model but I have several excellenrt chucks. I closed my shop and sold most machines, Still have lots of tooling.

It has an R8 spindle.

I bought a 1/2" keyless Rohm from Enco on sale for around $70.... Super Chuck!

I have a grizzly g0407. The drill chuck that came with it is not even close to ok. It accidentally came with two and they both suck. I'm not looking for a top-of-the-line. Just something decent. Would like to stay under $75.

5-4-13

Hi Ya all:

Got your message in regards to a drill chuck. I have been in the machining scenario for 35+ years and have several drills. In my opinion the BEST chuck
EVER is RHOM brand - made in Germany. Enco. Mfg in Chicago sells these chucks. They have a broad variety to choose from. I used these chucks on several drills, which includes one for my lathe stock. They have an internal one piece ring and are very robust and accurate. The prices are good. You may pay a little more but believe me it is worth the extra money. You will need to determine what spindle you have and pic one that matches out of the list at ENCO. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at any time on this web. You can get on line and get on Enco's web site for a list of chucks :))

Thanks and happy machining
jbollman

5-4-13 10:56 AM

I called Grizzly and they could not match number G0407 with any item. Check the number and get back to me. If you have a users/parts manual
that came with it, it may have the specs of the spindle. :))

RSVP
jbollman

Back