Help confirm my tram

I agree with the table ways argument. I've run some really bad machines that will have much larger movement when the direction is changed. I always moved the cutter from right to left on the finish cut so that's where I set my zero.
If your machine is new adjusting the gibs could be called for. You can check by running the table to one end and setting an indicator then push/pull on the table and see how much the indicator moves.

Jim

You guys were right. I just checked and I have .007" movement on the dial, at the vice (more/less center) when I try to tweak the table. Clearly the gibs aren't tight enough. I haven't addressed it yet, as I don't recall how to get to the x-axis gib and really am hoping I don't have to take the table off to do so.

You guys were right. I just checked and I have .007" movement on the dial, at the vice (more/less center) when I try to tweak the table. Clearly the gibs aren't tight enough. I haven't addressed it yet, as I don't recall how to get to the x-axis gib and really am hoping I don't have to take the table off to do so.
Most of the wear generally takes place in the middle of the travel. If you snug up the gib there, often times it will be too tight at the ends of the travel. If you set the gib at the ends of the travel, it will be loose in the middle -- if you have that wear issue, which is fairly common. You can set it loose to get the entire travel or tighten it up and then reset it if you need the entire table travel. Wait a minute, I think I remember that you have a Millrite. So do I. On a Millrite you must remove the carriage and table to adjust the X axis gib. Get it right while it is off...

]Wait a minute, I think I remember that you have a Millrite. So do I. On a Millrite you must remove the carriage and table to adjust the X axis gib. Get it right while it is off...

Ugh. I just got this mill back together. How do you know if you have it right while the table is off? For that matter, could I tighten the Y gib super tight and then check if the movement is in the X? That seems like a reasonable thing to do first, right?

Ugh. I just got this mill back together. How do you know if you have it right while the table is off? For that matter, could I tighten the Y gib super tight and then check if the movement is in the X? That seems like a reasonable thing to do first, right?
Yes, you can tighten up the Y and the Z to make sure everything except the X is tight and then test it. Just using the X, Y and Z table and knee locks should be enough for testing, the gibs can be left alone. You could also use the X and Z locks to see if the Y is loose, same idea for the Z.

You have just opened a large can of worms for yourself, if you tighten the gibs where the machine is worn what do you think will happen when you move it to a position that is not worn? Just asking.

You have just opened a large can of worms for yourself, if you tighten the gibs where the machine is worn what do you think will happen when you move it to a position that is not worn? Just asking.

To be honest, I've had this machine apart and inspected the ways. I didn't see much wear at all, and all the scraping marks were still on all the way surfaces. I suspect that I simply didn't get the gibs tight enough as I had (have) no idea what I'm doing. I think it just needs a gib adjustment.

[EDIT]- But, I get your point. And that would indeed be a whole can of worms! :)

To be honest, I've had this machine apart and inspected the ways. I didn't see much wear at all, and all the scraping marks were still on all the way surfaces. I suspect that I simply didn't get the gibs tight enough as I had (have) no idea what I'm doing. I think it just needs a gib adjustment.

[EDIT]- But, I get your point. And that would indeed be a whole can of worms! :)
Make sure you can slide the table the full length of it's travel before calling it good and putting it back on the mill. You can also use an indicator to check for movement between the various pieces.

Back