Help? B'port clone, cant get spindle out

I saw one where bolt that attaches the travel stop on the quill is to long and sticks in just enough you cannot get the top bearing past it until removed. Then it removed easy enough.
That's a really good point. I never though of that. Taking the reverse trip lever, the micrometer screw and the stop knob are pretty simple. If it is that screw in the stop knob, that would make a lot of sense.

Make sure you're not fighting against "stacked" set screws somewhere? Common occurrence on some mills.

I'm stepping back and taking a breath. I'm going to leave the head alone for now. I'll be tearing the mill down so I can clean it well, then starting with the base I'll fill the chips and gouges in the paint and give it a decent touch up coat of paint. I'll get to the head last, and since I'm taking it all apart anyway to clean and paint I'll get the spindle out then. I'm afraid if I start taking the head apart now, I'll have trouble keeping it all together in pieces until then. I know how my projects tend to take longer and more space than I originally thought.

As KVT said "I saw one where bolt that attaches the travel stop on the quill is to long and sticks in just enough you cannot get the top bearing past it until removed. Then it removed easy enough."
I had the same problem with my clone.
Peter

I would take the whole quill out then take the spindle out.

Back