Help & advise please… Jacobs #20 super chuck

I need that chuck to go on my big drill press!

Nicely done!

-Bear
Thanks. The more I look at it, the more I wonder if it’s too big for my mill. An 18n might be better. and r8-j4 is less exotic by the looks of it (probably as no one expects you to run an inch wide drill on an r8 spindle…) hmmm.

if anyone has a decent 18n, I might be up for swappsies if transatlantic postage isn’t too exorbitant.

Thanks. The more I look at it, the more I wonder if it’s too big for my mill. An 18n might be better. and r8-j4 is less exotic by the looks of it (probably as no one expects you to run an inch wide drill on an r8 spindle…) hmmm.

if anyone has a decent 18n, I might be up for swappsies if transatlantic postage isn’t too exorbitant.

A 1" drill might be a bit much for the R8 collet system. Bridgeport recommends the largest end mill be 3/4". You can buy aftermarket collets that go up to 1", but they're thin as tissue paper and probably hold just about as well.

Ah well. The j5-r8 saga is now moot. The #20 is back on eBay, and I have an #18 on the way along with a j5-r8 arbor. I’d post links to the ebay auctions (I have some other chucks up as well) as they’re all eligible for the global shipping program… but I think that would be against forum policy.

[Edit] - reading the t&c’s of the site, it appears nothing prohibits eBay links - so here’s the #20: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294297856111
the 16n is up for grabs too, along with a couple of cardinals. (Mods - please remove if I’ve missed something and it is against the site rules)

Last edited:
Back