Help & advise please… Jacobs #20 super chuck

GreatOldOne

R'lyeh Engineering Works
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi all,

I’ve recently lucked into a #20… it’s in great condition, a bit dirty and in need of some new grease after a clean. It’s… large. I can use it, even in my mill (it’s not a Bridgeport or any other big piece of iron, but I have the headroom for it)

Anyway, I have hit the problem that my googling says is standard for these chucks… it’s a JT5 mount. It came with a JT5-MT4 arbor. I need a JT5-R8. I’ve seen that they *do* exist, but appear to be as rare as unicorn poo.

So my questions are:
  1. Does anyone know if the correct arbor for my circumstances is available from anywhere now? Most searches I’ve done throw up either distributors or re-sellers that are no longer in business. And if you do know, is anyone willing to help a Brit out by assisting a purchase and shipping (all costs to be stood by me of course). There’s nothing this side of the pond. Period.
  2. Failing all that, I could attempt to turn a new arbor myself. Then there’s two options. Either a straight shank for a collet which I guess would be easiest, or try to do an R8 and put a draw bar thread in the tail. Opinions? I do have the MT4 arbor I could use, and try and do some hard turning to get past the hardened surface.

Or am I just better using it as a doorstop or paperweight? :)

Cheers

Jason

CD Tooling has one. Shars had a JT4 but no 5
$75 plus shipping.
If you can’t buy it, let me know.
PM me, glad to help
Jeff

Thanks guys. The c&d appears to be in stock and available for shipping to the UK. Shipping is a bit expensive @ $40 - but I guess exotic items from foreign climes demand that sort of outlay.
H&G are out of stock, but ETS has them - I just don’t seem to find a shipping option to the UK. It’s a bit odd. They do ship overseas, but the list of destinations is a weird. Why only those countries I wonder?38D74FFC-8DA2-4B3D-8E38-1259DAF93C0A.jpeg
I’ll drop ets an email and see what’s what there, and how much they’ll charge.

I finished the majority of the cleaning this evening. It was severely caked in dried up grease. Methylated Spirit got rid of most of it. I need to hit the jaw ways a bit more, but I thing that that is mostly staining. ECD314C8-168E-440B-B100-DC09ADDF7EE9.jpeg

the residue was a bit nasty - there’s an awful lot of grit there. Yet everything looks in pretty good condition. Even the ball bearings.

CBCDF1F0-0E31-4C99-A2EC-9DE09BEB04A5.jpeg

Still radio silence from ETS… I even put an order in in the hope that an actual order on the system might buck up the sales team, but no. I guess lockdown in Aus may have done for the office staff…

In the meantime, it’s back together and ready for action once I can get hold of an arbor. Happy how it’s come out:173B7424-56D4-40EE-B4C3-483D2902F24F.jpeg
D0DA64F0-EAFF-471B-8D2B-21143A0901BC.jpegCEC7CCF2-EF9F-4FC9-ACE3-8ED25E9464E3.jpeg
Family photo. L-R, big daddy 20N, baby 14N & Mummy 16N :)
77A515D1-B119-479C-8CB0-E4BEE9274602.jpeg

Beautiful job on the chuck.
You have to appreciate the high quality of these.
This inspired me to pull out my Jacob’s chucks for a cleaning

I need that chuck to go on my big drill press!

Nicely done!

-Bear

Back