Height gage help

Personally I would,
1. Accept it as is and simply deduct 1.040" from whatever it is you are measuring. or,
2. make a nice plate that is 1.040" thick and sit anything you want to measure on it. or,
3. Make an extra piece that adapts the scribing foot to the height gauge, and problem solved.
The height gage has been tested, and the scale is accurate to the distance under the standard height gage blade. It works fine as built, just does not measure below 1.040" using the standard blade. The only issue here is being able to measure shorter parts. Using a 1-2-3 block conveniently lets one measure down to .040" by simply subtracting 1.000" from the scale reading. 1.000" offset blades are also available to fit the height gage, still need to subtract 1.000" from the scale reading. The only issue here that we are fussing over is the .040" that the slide cannot reach because it hits the base first. Much ado about nothing, IMHO...

I just picked up a Brown & Sharpe vernier height gage. How do I make measurements that are less 1.040" since the gage is bottomed out
465562c2a5d9db1c54811fffa49bab58.jpg
f002d8759cf372f234ce5f02dd6f91a7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had one of like it in the 60's. With a vernier if you look at the scales at an angle, you will induce an error. You will find that it is very hard to set to the same setting again. Its a nice find to display. There is a reason everybody went to the dial type. A good import for for hobby use is cheap, it just will not last 10-20 years.

Back