Heavy 10 Work

To machine, or not. Thinking about at least machining off the ridges. This is the underside of the carriage.
25192791523_796a2cac60_b.jpgcarriage way 1 by phdesigns1, on Flickr

25192790073_7e109c82cf_b.jpgcarriage way 2 by phdesigns1, on Flickr

25192791523_796a2cac60_b.jpg

25192790073_7e109c82cf_b.jpg

I'd clean it, adjust it as best as you can and then see how it works. Worn evenly is no where near as much of a problem as worn unevenly and even that isn't necessarily a big problem. My lathe, like most, is more worn at the headstock end and also on the crank end of the cross slide. So I've adjusted it to be a nice sliding fit on the worn areas and put up with the tighter feeling on the less worn bits, which I tend not to use much.

The trouble with milling off the ridges is that then you'll have to either add turcite back to get the geometry right or mill off other bits of the carriage so that the V-way sits properly. Not trivial.

I agree, Matt. It is worn pretty evenly between the head stock and where the tail stock sits at the end of the bed. My intent is not to remove any more than the ridges, as I figure it is already riding on the worn area anyway. Will give a bit more thought to it as I go before reassembling. The ways have about the same ridge on them.
I removed a couple of grease zerks off the carriage. Guess the previous owner thought grease best there? It was packed underneath a bit.

Man, it is getting harder to stay encouraged with this project as I go deeper in to it. Got the apron and change gear box off and pretty cleaned up. The gear box is worn out. Shafts are 'wallering' in the housing, idler gears are worn oversize. started taking the change gear box apart. Will look at remaking shafts, if possible, and or bushing the gears. Fortunately the lead screw is in good shape, even though the half nuts are shot. Fortunately found some one with an extra set of those and they are on their way here, but..............

keep at it Paul, you'll get there eventually! I'm going through something similar with my lathe. i just want to use it, but i keep finding stuff i needed to fix first!

The phrase "it's always darkest before the dawn" comes to mind, Paul. Sometimes you just got to take a day off and do other things. I'm working on a Jet lathe, nowhere as historically satisfying as your South Bend will be, but other unfinished projects are demanding my attention and rightly so. I draw inspiration from you and the others on this forum who take what looks like a paperweight and find the jewel inside. So, for my selfish sake and others like me, don't give up. Ask for help, too.

Steve Shannon

Fortunately I do have a life outside of this machine :). Keeps me working on it intermittently and not trying to have a time frame. Trying to take a few pics so I can remember how to put it back together when I get there! Getting parts scattered over every available work bench.

You seem to have passed the "Point of no return" on the rehab. Steve said it above better than I could. I'm trying to just enjoy working on my projects when I can. Not that I've ever been a paragon of patience, but at 65 my body is starting to control what my mind has never been very good at, slowing down. It should be a beauty when your done, hang in there. Mike

Back