Heavy 10 project

How ironic....I came downstairs last night to hear my computer clicking uncontrollably...hard drive had a physical crash....so I feel your pain.

Nice job on the belt...I have done this exact same thing (minus the soldering). Eventually the wire pulled "through" the belt...so watch for that.

Eventually the wire pulled "through" the belt...so watch for that.

Yeah I thought about the wires pulling through the belt, I have heard that it's happened to others, some only went 1/4" in from the end and I don't think that leaves much material there for strength. I went in 3/8" from the end so I hope it holds up a little better, time will tell. I also think I may back off the tension a little and see how it runs when I get it wired up, I here these belts grip really good so I may not need as much tension as I have it set right now.

Greg, I've been lurking and learning since I've got an old (very old) Heavy 10 that needs some love. This thread makes me realize how neglected my poor SB really is.

The belt issue was one I faced several times since I like to take heavy cuts and the belt doesn't. I found replacement belts online pretty reasonably priced, but the laces don't last long. They pull through. I finally went with an adjustable link belt for a V pulley. I just inverted it and run it inside out. It looks a little odd, but it will not fail. You can find them new and used online through the usual sources. I'm running a used one from the 'bay'.

I also have a dumb question: did you have to do anything to the spindle bearings? Mine are sadly worn and egged. I don't find any info on replacements online. Maybe my web-fu is weak.

Greg, I've been lurking and learning since I've got an old (very old) Heavy 10 that needs some love. This thread makes me realize how neglected my poor SB really is.

The belt issue was one I faced several times since I like to take heavy cuts and the belt doesn't. I found replacement belts online pretty reasonably priced, but the laces don't last long. They pull through. I finally went with an adjustable link belt for a V pulley. I just inverted it and run it inside out. It looks a little odd, but it will not fail. You can find them new and used online through the usual sources. I'm running a used one from the 'bay'.

I also have a dumb question: did you have to do anything to the spindle bearings? Mine are sadly worn and egged. I don't find any info on replacements online. Maybe my web-fu is weak.

As far as the belt goes, I think I'll be ok, since the serpentine belts are wide and very grippy I think the key to not having them pull through is to back off the tension a little so they aren't so tight, that's my theory anyway, LOL Time will tell.
As far as the bearings go. Replacement spindle bearings are available but very pricey, better to look for a used set if needing replacement. Mine had some scoring that I could feel with my fingernail, I honed them. If yours are not to bad here is what I did. After dissassembly clean all bearing surfaces on the headstock and caps, install the bearings and caps with the bolts just finger tight so you don't crush the bearings. Insert a cylinder hone, the stone type, and turn by hand very slowly with a little oil for lube. Turn the hone just until the scratch pattern is uniform and goes all the way around, then clean off the oil and possible grit and polish with 600 grit paper by hand to polish the surfaces. I also buffed the spindle to polish it. This worked excellent for me, upon reassembly and a bearing lift test with the proper shim clearance I got .001" clearance. With the chuck installed and no belt tension if I give it a spin by hand I get 1 1/2 revolutions, spins very freely. Proper spindle bearing clearance is very important and you should take your time doing this and set it up correctly, the payoff is accuracy and longevity and well worth the time spent. Others here have done this and we are here to help and answer questions if needed. Fix that old south bend! You'll be glad you did. LOL

What a project.....Great!! I am looking forward to getting my 14.5 home this week ..not a lot of info on that size..you said earlier that the thread dial didn't line up ...?? did you mean the stop? I noticed that ....Mine does not have a thread dial and I'll be looking for one as well as new felts at some point....I'll most likely use it as i clean it up ....no major overhaul but ....yours is looking real nice Thanks

What a project.....Great!! I am looking forward to getting my 14.5 home this week ..not a lot of info on that size..you said earlier that the thread dial didn't line up ...?? did you mean the stop? I noticed that ....Mine does not have a thread dial and I'll be looking for one as well as new felts at some point....I'll most likely use it as i clean it up ....no major overhaul but ....yours is looking real nice Thanks

No I meant the micrometer carriage stop, it was the wrong one for this lathe, I found a correct one. The first one didn't line up with the machined pad on the saddle. I highly recommend the felt kit off of ebay, very complete kit. I would also get the rebuild manual as it is a wealth of information and if you buy the 2 together you get them at a discount.

No I meant the micrometer carriage stop, it was the wrong one for this lathe, I found a correct one. The first one didn't line up with the machined pad on the saddle. I highly recommend the felt kit off of ebay, very complete kit. I would also get the rebuild manual as it is a wealth of information and if you buy the 2 together you get them at a discount.

Didn't see one for the 14 1/2

Didn't see one for the 14 1/2

I believe the kit is the same for the 10, 13, 14, and 16. Just send the seller a message and ask if it's the same. I think the 13 and 14 is the same but not sure. If the seller offers other kits he will reply.

Thanks for the tips on the bearings. I had even considered making a new set. Mine are fine vertically, but the horizontal push-off is visible when I take a heavy cut. Makes me nervous to watch the thread tool push the work away then start cutting. :bitingnails: I plan on fixin' er up soon. I'm also watching those felt kits with manual.
Thanks again.

I ordered the vfd yesterday and it was shipped today. The switch is done as well, update pics coming soon when I get everything wired up.

Back