Heavy 10 project

spindle-install-007.jpg spindle-install-008.jpg A couple more pics. You can see my home made shims sticking out of the caps in the front, that's ok, you just don't want them to stick out on the sides and rub on anything. Everything turns very smoothly by hand, I can get one full spin by hand without a chuck installed before it comes to a stop. This was a big accomplishment for me since the original headstock was missing the dovetail adjusters and the bearings where cut in half. After sourcing a new used headstock to replace the missing or damaged parts and having everything come out ok I am very relieved and can now move on with the rest of the restore. I will do some testing under power to make sure the bearings and caps do not get exsessivly hot. It has come out better than expected.
spindle-install-007.jpgspindle-install-008.jpg

Last edited:
That's the way to do it.......nice Greg!

I bet someone at SB back in 1910-15 scrolled out patterns. I'm guessing somewhere along the line they got a die press to stamp out the shims. You bet those will work!

You're doing great buddy -- thanks for the show.....

rw1,

Can you please post the photos and desciption of YOUR H10 restoration that you posted on another forum?

You did a great job breaking it down and we can all learn from it.

Thanks!

Wood,

You did a fantastic job, as you know!

Keep that up, you will end up moderating this forum! :man:

(We do need a moderator- seriously! Any takers?)

Wood,

You did a fantastic job, as you know!

Keep that up, you will end up moderating this forum! :man:

(We do need a moderator- seriously! Any takers?)
Thank you for the kind words! It means a lot coming from the admin. I hope that others have enjoyed my restore thread too and can see what you can do on the cheap with a lot of elbow grease and some passion for what you do with your hands. As far as being a mod, I have thought about it, but there are others here with way more knowledge and experiance than me. I'm just a guy that likes to work with his hands, weather it be wood working, metal working, mechanics, or the never ending honey do list....LOL. I do appreciate this forum and it's laid back atmosphere, no ego's here weather a pro or a hobbiest like me, everyone seems friendly and willing to help. Maybe when I am done with the restore if someone more worthy of the position hasn't taken it I might entertain the offer more seriously. But right now I need to get this lathe done so I can get it dirty and make some stuff!

Greg, you are doing a marvelous job. In fact, since this is such a large project, I am naming it PoM for November and December. Keep up the good work!

Wow! this is quite an honor! I'm flattered, seriously thanks to all you great guys for your support! And to Tony, Thank you very much for picking my project as pom, I never even considered something like this would come of my project.

Back