heavy 10 headstock question[s]

Ski

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hello everyone, I am working on the headsock on my 10L. I believe this was apart before. It is a 1965. I found the oiler tubes pushed down into the headstock. The rebuild manual I have shows the tubes raised above the headstock surface. I haven't tried to raise them. Anyone have any tips before I attempt to raise em up? I noticed the tip of the one of the oilers was worn odd and think the tube could be the reason. One felt was torn half through. Lots of crud. I also noticed black discolorations on the right headstock bearing surface as well as the backside of the bearing. The discoloration is big and black. Looks like it got hot. Anyone see this before or know the cause? The actual spindle side of the bearing and the spindle look to be in great shape allthough the bearing had black on the spindle side but it came off with some carefull scrubbing. Ski

Just thought I'd mention that I was finally able to raise the oiler tubes by first carefully drilling a 3/16 hole through the tube,crosswise through the oil cup hole. Then I ground down a 1/2 threaded rod to fit all the way down the oiler tube. I crossdrilled the threaded rod and pulled the tubes up by using a 3/16 punch through the tube and threaded rod and using a nut washer and spacer at the top to pull it. There was no damage other than my drilled hole. I saw a picture of a similar setup somewhere and sort of did it my way. I tried a slide hammer first as well but that didn't work. I have it stripped and ready to mask and paint. All I have left on it is the gear box after this. Chris

Back