Heavy 10 Good Buy With Bed Wear?

That's a good deal. If the spindle is good, you will break even or profit parting the spindle by itself.

Measured the bed wear with a dial indicator this morning. I place a mag base on the saddle and the indicator on the front flat way, then I slid the saddle from far right to far left. Total wear is 0.009" - 0.010" depending on how much I push down on the saddle.

I also assemble the front spindle bearing correctly. Some previous idiot had pulled the bearing cap off without detaching the bearing spreader and that was just sitting loose in there. After reassembly and snugging everything up, the spindle has plenty of shims and 0.002" vertical play per spec.

BTW, the bearing adjustment placard was in the drawer loose; wear was it supposed to be mounted on the machine?

Pics of bed wear under the chuck:
DSCN0046.jpg
Note, that looks worse than it is due to the light diffracting on the edge of the razor blade. Back lit with a flash light.

DSCN0047.jpg

Does your saddle rock corner-to-corner? If it does, try seeing if you get a ribbed surface finish on your parts when using power feed. This is what mine does, so I'm curious if this exhibits the same surface imperfection. Either way, $400 for a D1-4 is a steal. I'd definitely consider spending the $1000 or so to bring the bed and saddle back up to spec.

I miscounted the D1 studs late last night. It's actually a D1-3 spindle if that makes much difference...

It will probably be some time before I can cut anything with it. I don't have a belt for it, and the cross slide and compound need re-assembly. The hangup on reassembly is I'm not 100% certain I have all the tiny screws and may need to make several hardware store trips.

I also have an extra gib in the drawer.... I can't figure out what it was/is for. Looks very similar in size to the cross slide gib, but a bit thicker. Are the gib screws special or can I pick those up at the hardware store? I haven't finished looking at all the screws, but I didn't see any that looked to fit.

I'm retarded btw, I have completely forgotten what the D1-X on the spindle is... I measured it at one point early on while looking at it but didn't keep the notes.

When looking again, I remembered it had a D1 cam-lock and just assumed it was a D1-4 since that's what I've seen elsewhere. Then looking at it earlier I thought "this has 3 cam studs, must be a D1-3..."

Now I remember D1-3 & D1-4 are very similar but not interchangeable and have the same cam-lock stud count...

Basically, ignore wear I say it's a D1-4 or D1-3 as I don't know at the moment which it is.

D1-3 studs are smaller in diameter, you can look up their specs on line with google search. As far as I know no Southbend Heavy 10s ever shipped with a D1-3, they were all D1-4.
michael

Even with the bed wear, you did real good!!!!!
the D1 is worth the money alone.
you can work around the rest!
Sweet Score!!!:D

Get a belt at NAPA or Autozone. Basic glue-to-fit serpentine. Much better than the stitched flat belts (no annoying noise, much smoother, better grip).

As f0r the gib screw, don't over-think it. Whatever fits in the hole works!

I dug into it a bit more and the half nuts are pretty shot. I can rebuild those with a threaded sleeve epoxied in place, but I'm not quite certain the best manner to measure the wear on the lead screw.

Of course I can wait until the threaded sleeve is complete and see how much play I get with that on the lead screw, but is there another, better method?

Back