Heavy 10 Good Buy With Bed Wear?

the problem on the poor old lathe was lack of lubrication...:cry:
you'll have hours of fun making her feel better!
the leadscrew may be purchased on auction sites as well as the half nuts and other stuff you may not have but need .
the lathe is a prime candidate for Hand/Biax scraping !!!
too bad you are too far away, i'd scrape it for ya!:)

Yeah, the ways are dry as a bone.

At least the spindle still has oil in the bearings & oil cups.

unfortunately they were probably filled when the lathe went up for sale.

Possibly, but I don't think that's the case.

The oil cups had quite a bit of built up grime on & around them that hadn't been disturbed.

I'm going to have to learn myself a lot here... I'd LOVE to be able to take you up on that scraping! It's something I would enjoy watching, pestering about, and learning. All I know of it is what I've seen on youtube.

it's a fascinating phenomenon when you take a piece of metal and scrape small gouges into it in methodical application of the tools and produce a surface that is highly accurate. the accuracy surpasses most shops mechanical ability in machining and grinding operations.
even after things are machined to a very fine degree a lot of items are still hand scraped or hand lapped to final accuracy.
it's good to know human eye and hand are still better than other means for final fit.

My heavy ten has .003 of wear in the bed from the chuck to about 10" back. But it is consistent so as long as I know that I can work around it pretty easily. I replaced all the brass nuts so now all the dials have no describable backlash and take a dial indicator to detect (.001) which is less the factory spec. I am taking it apart and repainting it. I paid 1300 for it and if I came across another someone wanted 400 for I'd probably buy it if for nothing else other than to teach myself how to scrape bed ways. I'm actually pretty jealous of you. A complete Heavy ten for less than 800 bucks seems like a smoking deal regardless of bed wear.

Back