Heavier cuts on victor lathe

Of course they do. A cnc is just a big automatic lathe or mill. I agree though 1800 sounds to fast for a manual operation.
try 1000 minimum.

1700 RPM is like the high end of rotational speeds for most manual lathe, in fact many manual lathes can't spin that fast without problems (for example most chucks shouldn't exceed 2000rpm).

Surely they do not expect you to run this in a manual lathe right? I know a lot of CNC lathes can spin very fast, like even 5000 rpm.
Yes, this is a limitation of manual lathes. Inserts are designed to cater to CNC machines. Many manual lathes are designed around using HSS, which cuts around 100 SFPM in steel.

Okay, big lathe.
Why is your toolpost turning? That machine should handle double the cut of what you're taking without the toolpost moving.
Can you send a pic?

Okay, big lathe.
Why is your toolpost turning? That machine should handle double the cut of what you're taking without the toolpost moving.
Can you send a pic?
Yea, here are some pics. I need to buy some test stocks to try out... Basically some larger stocks that I can test making heavier cuts. I gotta wait for weekdays as the metal stores do not open on weekends.

Attachments

• IMG_20221105_235445.jpg
    IMG_20221105_235445.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20221105_235433.jpg
    IMG_20221105_235433.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 35
So the four way post is held by a bolt that screws into the compound slide? No T-slot, correct?

So the four way post is held by a bolt that screws into the compound slide? No T-slot, correct?
You are correct, it's a long bolt that goes into the compound, no T slots. I have to hammer the handle to lock it sometimes because it's been known to slip sometimes, especially during heavier cuts.

I'm wondering if I should do something about this, like when I change it to a quick change tool post.

You are correct, it's a long bolt that goes into the compound, no T slots. I have to hammer the handle to lock it sometimes because it's been known to slip sometimes, especially during heavier cuts.

I'm wondering if I should do something about this, like when I change it to a quick change tool post.
Are the mating surfaces of the compound and the toolpost clean and flat? It sounds like something that shouldn't be slipping is.

Back