Heavier cuts on victor lathe

I saw where David drilled, and tapped the compound for a bar to stop tool post rotation.

Mitee Bite Fixture Clamps would work well too.

Actually, under the tool post (or top of the compound) on my lathe there is a little spring loaded button that clicks into place whenever you slide the tool post in line with the compound. That button also prevents slippage. Unfortunately this means if I angle the compound for thread cutting that button won't be there to stop slippage.

I do not know if quick change tool posts also have the proper cuts under it to engage with this button.

Are the mating surfaces of the compound and the toolpost clean and flat? It sounds like something that shouldn't be slipping is.
If for some reason the edge of the threads are higher than the rest of the compound (pulled up from the tension) the clamping force and resistance to rotation will be reduced. This is because the surface area of contact is minimal. You want all of the flat surfaces in intimate contact, for maximum rotation resistance. Put a flat blued surface on it and check it. If anything, you want the area around the thread to be slightly recessed to prevent this from happening in the next few decades.

If that tool post is turning something is wrong ! I will bet the t-nut holding the post is a bit too high. Maybe the t-nut height is matching the top of the compound when tightened . Make sure it’s below lathe compound top when tightened. Another thing to check is main hold down bolt is clear from bottoming out when it’s tight. Might be missing a washer and going too deep.
Then try cutting with a completely different tool with a different deeper chip breaker. If you can not get an insert grind one from a blank carbide tool .

No T-nut on that machine.

No T-nut on that machine.Q
Actually, under the tool post (or top of the compound) on my lathe there is a little spring loaded button that clicks into place whenever you slide the tool post in line with the compound. That button also prevents slippage. Unfortunately this means if I angle the compound for thread cutting that button won't be there to stop slippage.

I do not know if quick change tool posts also have the proper cuts under it to engage with this button.
Can you post pic of spring loaded button?

There's not much to explain... Many lathes have this. In fact I know for a fact that PM1228 lathe has this same button too. It simply clicks and locks the tool post from turning in one direction. You can turn it the opposite direction.

If you watch this video:

That's the button I am talking about. His is pointed the wrong way though. The button in mine is located on the upper right of where the tool post sits, and it prevents the tool post from rotating clockwise when it clicks. Clockwise movement just also happens to be the direction tool post would rotate if it were to encounter cutting pressure.

Back