Heating/Cooling Garage based shop - Upper Midwest

^^^ @Radials ^^^ An Eisen mill! How do you like that (at risk of derailing this thread).
I'll keep this thread on topic with a shot of my shop cooling system lol. My mill is a pretty face only and I wish I had the rest of the machine to go with it. However, the rest of my mill isn't too bad and more than acceptable for what I do. The head is fine and I've had one of their lathes on my list for awhile as an option to replacing the one I've got when that seems appropriate.
IMG_3152.jpg

I have a really small shop area. My most used machines which are the Bridgeport with a 42" table, Nichols horizontal mill, R/Fu radial arm drill, a 1440 lathe along with tool storage are in a 10'6" x 16' room. It's tight but it works for me. Adjacent to that in what was the one car garage is my welding and assemble area. So for me I can't accumulate things I don't use there. I have a third room on the other side of the house with all the things I just can't part with. My wife now would like me to clear that room and make it a den. I know I most likely will never use much of it but I am having a hard time with her request.View attachment 436984View attachment 436985View attachment 436986
Thanks to all for the "like" reply. The steel in the last photo is a gate I made for Numidia Dragway in Pa. When finished it was covered in 1/8" plate. It is used to allow the half scale dragsters to exit the strip at the 1000' mark instead of them completing the 1/4 mile and then the return road. One section of concrete barrier was removed and this was inserted and hinged to one side. It' 1/4"wall 4 x 4 x 14' box, and is locked when not in use.

The furnace may be cheap, but the fuel certainly won't be. Our oil furnace gave up a couple years ago, so we changed to natural gas. At the time #2 furnace oil (diesel fuel) was over $4.50 a gallon plus a $100.00 delivery charge if you ordered less than 250 gallons. The fuel company was charging more per gallon than it cost at the gas station even though the gas station price included road tax. We were using about a tank full a year (275 gallons) at the family cottage that was only being heated 4 days every other week.

Since we've switched to gas it runs less than 100.00 a month and we leave the heat on all the time. The furnace runs less than 6 months of the year. The other 6 months we pay the minimum $10.00 a month just to have the service. If you do the math, it cost over $1,200.00 a year for 48 days of heat using oil, and $660.00 for six months of continual heat with natural gas.

Installation of the gas line and meter was free if less than 100' from the main line. According to the utility person measuring for the installation we were 96' from the line. I didn't get the same distance using my tape measure, but I didn't question his figures either.
I only wish we had NG in our area, we're rural with the closest NG being several miles away.

I only wish we had NG in our area, we're rural with the closest NG being several miles away.
I don't know what prompted the utility company to run a gas line down our road. It's about a mile and a half long with mostly summer cottages. There are only 4 homes capable of year-round living, and in the 10 years the line has been there we are only the 3rd house that has been hooked up. Looking at the cost of replacing the oil furnace with another one and the cost of fuel oil I'm glad the gas option was available.

I don't know what prompted the utility company to run a gas line down our road. It's about a mile and a half long with mostly summer cottages. There are only 4 homes capable of year-round living, and in the 10 years the line has been there we are only the 3rd house that has been hooked up. Looking at the cost of replacing the oil furnace with another one and the cost of fuel oil I'm glad the gas option was available.
Sounds like a development is or was planned; at one time or another.

I'd be tempted to use the wood burning stove in my garage (converted carriage house), but it's on the second floor, with nothing on the first floor! I'm planning to just get a mini-split for both floors.

Back