Heat Treat Oven

110 or 220 volt?? I have a similar sized oven and its 220. Heats up fast. My controller is a separate outboard unit that didn't come with the oven. Big on off
relay and thermocouple controlled.

I recently built a HT oven and used a very cheap $23 PID that I got on ebay. I am holding around +- 3F for most temperatures. There are some very inexpensive options.

I ordered the PID and thermocouple that Rgray posted.
I turned it off tonight, after heating it up, about five or six hours ago and it is still very warm, amazing.

Right on. I went with a Mypin controller since that was what another guy had used. Tons of videos on them too, so set up was easy. Either way until you go over a couple hundred dollars most will have similar features. Does your current kiln have solid state relays? This was an in progress picture of the one I built for knife making. Works awesome. I can hold 1950 to within a couple degrees easily and have a source for hand made thermocouples from a guy that verifies each one on an industrial machine where he works that is worth more than my house, lol.

17757297_10208882049474777_744489555357533755_n.jpg

Looks nice. I was starting to research making my own until this one fell in my lap.
No SSR's on this relic. I think they were just coming onto the scene when this was made.

I received my controller and thermocouple. I should have paid better attention to detail but the thermocouple thermowell is much to large for the existing hole in my oven.
I'm wondering if it is okay to drill a larger hole in the refractory?

The bricks will drill real easy. That inner liner probably won't be so easy, but a masonry bit might do it.

Okay I got everything together, or should I say I got it running. I need a new relay as my thirty year old one must require more amps than the controller can put out. Once I helped it close I let it run up to 1850°F. I ordered an SSR, when I get that I'll button everything up.

Back